Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Rig

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ok, I was just seeing if it would make a big difference when i overclock or will an air fan do fine. Ya I'm actually conideribg getting the Antec 900 but i may not.

Edited by Drumbum667, 09 November 2006 - 06:27 AM.

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Antec is an awesome company, especially for cases, power supplies and cooling

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
OO and for overclocking my GPU will the stock fan on it be fine. Like will I get a good boost if I overclock without worrying about heat.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
if it an ati then yes ati tool is great if u get an overclocked nVida the fan was built for oc so yes

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The cooler on the x1950s is pretty decent, better than the norm for a gfx card, quiet very quiet by most reports. Although if your not going to be building in the next two weeks to a month then hold off for dx10 nvidia release next week and ATI is end of the month or early december.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I actually won't be building for awhile. I just bought a 360 cause I've been fantasizing over it and I just lost all the cash I had. I'M SO STUPID. I'll definitely wait for DX10. Ooo and another thing. I was reading up on RAID and I was wondering if it would be good to get a two HD's and have a RAID 0 setup. I hear its faster and I was wondering if its good. And also whats the purpose of a dual video card configuration. I know I'm not gonna do that cause I definitely won't be able to afford it but whats the point. Do u get faster video performance, is it for dual monitors. Also will my motherboard be able to use the vid card in Crossfire mode.

Edited by Drumbum667, 10 November 2006 - 11:44 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I now think I'm gonna get water cooling, Its a bit expensive but it doesn't bother me and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I changed to this case Apevia Case and I'm gonna get this water cooling kit Swiftech Water Cooling. I was just wondering if this will fit in the case I have selected.
I also keep having this feeling that the PSU won't have enough cables to give power to everything. I was wondering if you have to plug in everything into the power supply. Like can the harddive just plug into the the motherboard and it gets power from that, and same with the DVD Burner. Also with the fans in the case do the fans plug into the PSU or does the PSU plug into them with a certain cable it comes with.

Edited by Drumbum667, 10 November 2006 - 11:47 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If you're after "Better safe than sorry," you're going to want to stay far away from water cooling. A fan spontaneously breaking and cracking stands a small chance of damaging your processor, and not a whole lot else. A water cooling aparatus developing a fault nukes your entire system. As people have said before: Water cooling is for those who emphasize low noise over everything else. You'll get better, more efficient, and safer cooling from an air cooling system at the moment.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
OK, cause noise doesn't bother me at all. My laptop is a compaq presario and i don't know but this thing roars and gets really really hot. So I'll just stick with air cooling. But what about the PSU. I was wondering if you have to plug in everything into the power supply. Like can the harddive just plug into the the motherboard and it gets power from that, and same with the DVD Burner. Also with the fans in the case do the fans plug into the PSU or does the PSU plug into them with a certain cable it comes with. That being said. Will this PSU have enough "CABLES" to power all of these products. I'm pretty sure it has enough wattage.OCZ GameXstreme PSU I suddenly just witched from wanting to get an Intel processor to now an AMD processor. Mainly because I hear they overclock better. And now since I switched I'm getting an MSI mobo thats not only cheaper than the gigabyte but it also supports Crossfire.

Apevia Case(I mean the 5 fans it has)
MSI Motherboard
Western Digital HardDrive
Samsung DVD Burner
ATI Radeon X1950XTX Video Card
Creative X-Fi Sound Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Zalman CPU Cooling
Corsair XMS2 Ram

Edited by Drumbum667, 11 November 2006 - 09:33 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They already released the first 2 direct x10 video cards here in america.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130071

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150205

Nvidia Geforce 8800gts and 8800gtx.

http://en.wikipedia....eForce_8_Series

The 8800gts has 640MB ram and the 8800gtx has 768MB ram.

Keep in mind YES they are both direct x10 compliant!

Edited by jrm20, 11 November 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I'm gonna stick with ATI unless Nvidia is better. Though ATI's should come out in a week or so right. God thats sick. Do you use Nvidia. What's the big difference between ATI and Nvidia anyways. Do you think that they are overclockable.

Edited by Drumbum667, 11 November 2006 - 11:25 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are just different companies making a similar product like intel and AMD both make the same product sell to the same market they just go about how they make the product and variations in how well the product works.

ATI and nvidia make gfx cards they just make them a slightly different way, ive been prefering ATI recently just because i think they work better for me i prefer having things look better rather than having the best fps nvidia generally goes for the fps at all costs approach, however the 8 series hasnt been out long enough to really see how they work. And yes the ATI R6xx cards should be out and they have one advantage which is they are going to use GDDR4 like the x1950 does, Nvidia are still using ddr3.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Ya that was the one thing I was looking at when i as looking at the specs of the Nvidia. Also do you think the ATI's card will have just as good if not a better fan than the X1950 so it doesn't get too hot.
But what about my PSU question. Will it have enough cables to power all of that stuff. And also how do you go about powering everything. Here is what I originally asked and thanks to anybody who answers this THANK YOU.
"I was wondering if you have to plug in everything into the power supply. Like can the harddive just plug into the the motherboard and it gets power from that, and same with the DVD Burner. Also with the fans in the case do the fans plug into the PSU or does the PSU plug into them with a certain cable it comes with. That being said. Will this PSU have enough "CABLES" to power all of these products. I'm pretty sure it has enough wattage.OCZ GameXstreme PSU I suddenly just witched from wanting to get an Intel processor to now an AMD processor. Mainly because I hear they overclock better. And now since I switched I'm getting an MSI mobo thats not only cheaper than the gigabyte but it also supports Crossfire.

MSI Motherboard
Samsung DVD Burner
Creative X-Fi Sound Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Zalman CPU Cooling
Corsair XMS2 Ram"

Edited by Drumbum667, 11 November 2006 - 12:15 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AMD does generally overclock better as a rule, however they are that much slower you wont get close to as good performance youll have to totally thrash it to get close to the intel CPUs performance. And like i said its dangerous, and to be honest with your attitude your going to fry your system, overclocking isnt something you set out to do as your primary goal its something you plan to have as an option for the future just in case, you dont normally set out with the goal of overclocking in mind unless there is some special circumstances.

Also the core2s overclock just as well as the X2s do so i dont know where you are reading your info but if its letting on your going to be faster with the X2 its wrong.

PS im sticking with my original comments on that case, its overpriced, and personally i find they look tacky and cheap.

Edited by warriorscot, 11 November 2006 - 12:14 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ya that was the one thing I was looking at when i as looking at the specs of the Nvidia. But what about my PSU question. Will it have enough cables to power all of that stuff. And also how do you go about powering everything. Here is what I originally asked and thanks to anybody who answers this THANK YOU.
"I was wondering if you have to plug in everything into the power supply. Like can the harddive just plug into the the motherboard and it gets power from that, and same with the DVD Burner. Also with the fans in the case do the fans plug into the PSU or does the PSU plug into them with a certain cable it comes with. That being said. Will this PSU have enough "CABLES" to power all of these products. I'm pretty sure it has enough wattage.OCZ GameXstreme PSU I suddenly just witched from wanting to get an Intel processor to now an AMD processor. Mainly because I hear they overclock better. And now since I switched I'm getting an MSI mobo thats not only cheaper than the gigabyte but it also supports Crossfire.

MSI Motherboard
Samsung DVD Burner
Creative X-Fi Sound Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Zalman CPU Cooling
Corsair XMS2 Ram"

Everything plugs into the power supply to get power. The harddrives all get hooked to the powersupplies...

That ocz 600w is more than sufficient to power everything. You will have plenty of cables to power everything, dont get stuck on non important thigs like that because the psu has plenty of connections.

I personally would get a Intel conroe core 2 duo e6600 but its your choice lol..