Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B-T502

• Please log in to reply

Wolfey

Wolfey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Reference:
Dell Desktop Dimension 4600
Windows XP Professional
Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-348B-T502 (Internal Drive)
I am unable to open the CDRW/DVD drive after inserting a disc. The unit functions properly in all aspects but the open button will not operate to discharge the disc. The only way to open the drive is to restart the computer. The CDRW/DVD is recognized as properly installed by the "Disc Detector" icon shown on the bottom toolbar. This is a major problem if I'm trying to install software that requires multiple discs to complete the installation; it becomes an impossible task. I have installed Dell's updated firmware (BR65941.exe) and spent more than two hours with a Dell technician that essentially went through the same sequence of events that I had previously performed. I also installed Samsung's LiveUpdate test software, which recognized the drive but also stated that "The model installed in your PC is not supportable model." Evidently, this means I should contact the OEM Dell manufacturer. Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. That's interesting... If you were to go into "My Computer" and right-click on the drive, and click on Eject, will it come out that way? Also, did this drive ever work properly?

Wolfey

Wolfey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes. Right clicking the drive and highlighting EJECT does work. I have had the problem for at least a year. The computer is now three years old.