Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony DW-D56A slim 8x DVD+/-RW

• Please log in to reply

DarrenZ

DarrenZ

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am using a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP. The problem I am having is with my Sony DW-D56A slim 8x DVD+/-RW drive. If seems that the drive no long exists. If I look in My Computer there is no D:/ drive listed.

If I go into the device manager the drive is listed but with a yellow exclamation mark. When I go into the drive properties under the general tab it says "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried to reinstall the driver using the Windows Based Firmware Flash Utility update for "Sony DW-D56A Slim 8X DVD+/-RW Drive that came from the Dell support site. When I try to run this utility I get an error message saying "No matched drive detected. This utility is only for the SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A drive". It then says "Detected Drives : ". It does not detect a drive.

I should also note that the drive does open and close properly and the green light does come on when the computer boots up and when I put a CD in the drive and close the door. It sounds like the computer is trying to find the drive.

I have no idea why this is happening but I can tell you that I have installed the latest version of itunes and internet Explorer recently and removed some other software titles from my computer. If someone could please help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Greetings! You could try running the cd gone patch at http://www.geekstogo...ne-t109781.html