Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook not responding

• Please log in to reply

ikd

ikd

• Pip
  • 4 posts
As of about two weeks ago, I have been unable to open Outlook. It opens to my inbox, and then just hangs up with the hourglass. Ctrl-Alt-Delete tells me it's not responding. I can access new mail through webmail on the server, but cannot get to any of my past mail, or my address book. I'm running Windows XP Professional with MS Offixe XP Professional, bought in 2002. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word then press help then detect and repair, make sure there is a tick in restore my shortcuts, this will repair the complete Office install, you may need the Office CD's

ikd

ikd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, Keith - tried that, but no go!! Windows Installer starts up, to configure XP Pro, and then I get an error message - error 1311 - it's looking for a source file called OFFICE1.CAB. When I put the original CD in and check System Configuration, it says it can't do it, as I'm now running a later version of Windows than the CD - I can only assume that's because I have applied Service Packs and other automatic updates... can anybody help? Can I download office1.cab from somewhere?

Not sure that that will help, though. A few months ago, I couldn't open Excel, and got the same message. I found and downloaded office1.cab, but then it wanted another file, which I couldn't find. In the end, I opened Excel in safe mode, through Run... it opened OK, and from then on the problem disappeared. I have tried opening Oultlook in safe mode, but it doesn't seem to have one. Also tried to download Office Service Pack 3, but all it told me was the installation was unsuccessful - no reason given. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you run detect and repair, you are using the Office CD's and not the XP CD.

You might find the office cab file on the Office CD's

XP CD will moan if you have added SP2 but removing SP2 is so damaging to the system it is best avoided

You can check the system files for XP by inserting the CD then click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter, you get a blue progress bar which goes off when complete

ikd

ikd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith... thanks again. Unfortunately, I don't have the Office CDs. I bought the laptop here in Zurich, but I needed the OS and apps in English, and htey only had German versions. The guy at the shop got hold of an English copy, and preloaded everything. He gave me two CDs - for XP Pro E (presumably, the E means English), and IBM T40 Driver - that's all!!

I've just run sfc /scannow - took about 20 minutes, but all seemed to run OK. Then I found I couldn't open Excel - same problem mentioned earlier, that I had months ago. Again, opening in safe mode worked and seemed to clear the problem (it opens normally now). tried Outlook in safe mode again - it opened, but hung up as soon as I clicked on the first message. I need to get at some of my old mail - this is driving me crazy.. :tazz: any more suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure why you did not get the Office CD's as it cannot be legally installed on to another PC. I snapped a disc while cleaning it, rang Microsoft who said they do not do 2000 but would send Office XP Pro for 17 GBP. They will ask for the product key which you should be able to get with RockXP from the link. If you get the product key for Office, ring them to say you moved and lost the discs, they also replace lost software.

Product Key

ikd

ikd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again, Keith. I have the product key - I'll give that a try.