Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows after desktop blank

• Please log in to reply

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi. I've been working on repairing my computer with Metallica after the desktop went blank, explorer.exe got messed up, etc. He told me I should try asking these questions here. [My topic is here: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=134467]:

-Windows XP came preinstalled on my computer. I tried to reinstall windows xp before but I couldn't because I didn't have a product key. Do I need one for this method and where would I get the product key if I do: How-to repair Windows XP, How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

-Also, I thought you could lose data/programs when doing this if windows came preinstalled on the computer? I know I saw something about that on the Microsoft website before.

-One more thing, how do I do this: Step 2: Backup. It's always a good idea to backup your important data before making changes to Windows XP. Relax, if you follow these instructions your data will be perfectly safe. Metallica said something about maybe being able to use the SP2 CD as a backup.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need a product key to repair Windows. If your machine is branded, there will be a product key somewhere on the case as this is a Microsoft regulation.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes, I found the product key once when I tried reinstalling it, for some reason it didn't work. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an XP CD - borrowed?

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes, that's what I used before, [it didn't come with the computer my sister got it to fix her computer before] when I tried to reinstall windows xp once.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download and run this

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

It will give you the product key for the PC, you use this number, not the one from the borrowed disc

The borrowed disc needs to be the same version as was originally installed on your PC

Before running the repair, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get the task manager, click file, click new task, type explorer.exe then click OK

If that does not change anything, also in task manager, click file, click new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If no change

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok. I will try that but do you know anything about how to backup the computer data and if a SP2 cd can be used and also does having windows xp preinstalled on your computer make you more likely to lose data?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a CD or DVD writer and some discs?

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes. I have a CD Writer on my other computer and I have some blank cds.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What about the PC you want to back up

Advertisements

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Afraid not. I never thought about that until now. I'm guessing that means there is no way to do a backup. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Typing explorer.exe in task manager / new task or typing sfc /scannow in task manager, should repair the explorer.exe error, if not, post back

Neither of those will affect any data you have

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I tried both of those things a fews times already. Here's what I get:
explorer.exe appears a few seconds in task manager, doesn't bring back the desktop, then disappears- if I search through my computer I find that it is still there but for some reason it isn't working

sfc /scannow- it scans goes off after it is done, I was told that means it didn't find any errors

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the repair, it won't affect data and programmes, just check you follow the guide in post 6 exactly

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok. Thanks for you help! :whistling: