Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows after desktop blank

• Please log in to reply

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes. The cd and computer are Windows XP Home Edition.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to ask Microsoft for a new key

Click contact us, international support if this is not your region

http://support.micro...ort/?ws=support

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok, am I going to have to restart the windows installation if I turn my computer off while waiting for the new product key?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, it will restart it automatically though, and keep doing it until it completes now

No problem with switching the PC off though

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok. Thanks.

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I went to the website. It says if Windows XP comes preinstalled you are suppose to contact the manufacturer. I went to them [compaq] talked online with one of the technicians and they said you can't use the Windows XP cd to reinstall windows, you have to use the Compaq Recovery cd that doesn't do a repair install! :whistling: I don't know if I believe that. It seems every time there is a problem they say use the recovery cd. They said that once to my sister because the firewall wouldn't enable on her computer! She talked on one of the help websites about that and they had her type something in command prompt and it fixed the firewall right away. So should I try to get Microsoft's help anyways?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Who owns the XP CD you are using and is its product key currently installed on any other machine?

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
My sister got the cd for some Emachine computer that we used to have. [we share computers, same house] The computer was damaged somehow, she said it wouldn't boot up so she ordered the cd and used it on that computer. We don't have that computer anymore but it's files were put on a new computer we got, I guess the hard drive was put on the new computer, I don't know if that's how you say or not.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what Microsoft say, IMO you need to move away from not being able to repair the installation, having to format everytime isn't good

If you have a Windows XP CD it would be worth asking if you can pay for an additional license, so you can use it on the PC it was supplied with, and also yours, though make this clear to Microsoft and get it in writing

Ask about educational licensing at your school / college if applicable

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok. I have a question though. If you use the cd and the product key on it on one computer does that mean you can't use the product key or the cd again on another computer, is that the problem?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use an XP CD and its product key on one computer

I would ask Microsoft why you ended up with two different keys, one from the machine and one attached to the PC

All you need is an XP CD which is the same version as was originally installed, which you seem to, the problem is with the product key and that is where Microsoft should help you

Saying you do not have / cannot find the XP CD which came with the machine is close enough :whistling:

I say that because you seem to have already paid enough for XP through having compaq and e-machine versions, both of which are reluctant to work

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I need the product ID to talk to Microsoft. It says the ID is under the start menu, which I don't have and can't get to because the windows xp setup keeps coming up on startup. Is the ID on the computer somewhere, how do I get it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Say you only have the product key because you cannot access the machine

ctdgcrsntf

ctdgcrsntf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes, but to email them/talk to them online you have to have the product key first to determine if no-charge support is available. I don't know if I could just use my other computer's product key. I doubt it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Using it is the only option because you won't get anything off the PC at the moment