Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faster program loading?

• Please log in to reply

skete

skete

• Pip
  • 7 posts
With all the protection programs I have to protect my computer, my computer has slowed down a lot. Question Is there some tweak I can use to increase the speed? I have used the Easy XP Tweaks and it's still slow at loading programs??? Any advice is appreciated

Advertisements

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

With all the protection programs I have to protect my computer, my computer has slowed down a lot.

How many "protection" programs are you running?

skete

skete

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm using Ad-Watch, EWIDO anti-spy, Zone alarm,and AVG free edition, I had Spy Sweeper installed and it slowed my computer to a crawl, I uninstalled it picked up speed some, but still slow. Everything was OK after I clean installed XP, I installed my programs and it slowed the program launch

skete

skete

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm using Ad-Watch, EWIDO anti-spy, Zone alarm,and AVG free edition, I had Spy Sweeper installed and it slowed my computer to a crawl, I uninstalled it picked up speed some, but still slow. Everything was OK after I clean installed XP, I installed my programs and it slowed the program launch

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
StartUpCPL will put a tab in your control panel that will let you select which programs start at boot. You can shut down programs you don't need/want to be running until you call on them. Do not untick anything having to do with your firewall, but experiment until you find what's hogging your resources.
HTH
Johanna

skete

skete

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks I'll try this!

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Ewido slowed down my computer to a crawl too. I use spyware terminator instead. Spybot search and destroy/Lavasoft Ad-aware are also excellent programs to use when you want. Check all startups using ccleaner.com and delete anything not absolutely necessary.