Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinAntiSpyware 2006 pro/Winantivirus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JohnHenry

JohnHenry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Phew! I thought I was in for it for a second there.

That's excellent news about my cleanliness. My computer is actually running better than it did BEFORE I got infected. That's thanks to you!

I hid my system files, put SpyBot's teatimer back on, and activated Windows Defender's realtime protection.

Let me ask you just a few quick questions before we end things:

First, I still have two WinAntiSpyware folders in my "Common Files" section. Can i just delete those from there or should I go about it according to a different procedure?

Second, how many antispy programs should I run at one time? I ask because I currently have defender, avg, and SpyBot all running, and startup takes an epoch because of it. Is one better than the other, or one combination better than the other? Spybot is free, whereas AVG and Ad-Aware are only free for 30 days, but I will pay for something if you recommend it.

On a similar note, I have already paid for McAfee viruscan enterprise, but I'm worried that it didn't catch this sucker. Are there any ones you would recommend more, or are they just about as good as McAfee? I know there are free ones like Avast and AntiVir--how do they match up? I don't necessarily assume something's better because you have to pay for it. I could give a really awful example of this right now but I'll keep it to myself.

Between CLeanUp and ATF Cleaner, is there one you prefer/recommend over the other? How often should I run it?

Two more: Can I delete/uninstall the approximately two dozen fixes I have sitting on my desktop, or are there any I should hold on to for safekeeping? And last but certainly not least, is there something with system restore I should do now that I have a clean drive?

That'll do it. Thankyouthankyouthankyou again for all your help and in advance for your answers. I found out the bank is crediting me the money I paid for WinAntiSpy 2006, so I'm going to donate half of it here and half of it to HiJackThis. In the meantime, here's one last ninja emoticon: :whistling:

Advertisements

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts

First, I still have two WinAntiSpyware folders in my "Common Files" section. Can I just delete those from there or should I go about it according to a different procedure?

yes, you may delete them.

I ask because I currently have defender, avg, and SpyBot all running, and startup takes an epoch because of it. Is one better than the other, or one combination better than the other? Spybot is free, whereas AVG and Ad-Aware are only free for 30 days, but I will pay for something if you recommend it.

Spybot and Ad-ware should be used roughly once a week. You should be able to use Ad-ware for free, the same goes for AVG. AVG Anti-Spyware can still be used after 30 days for free, you'll just have to update it manually. I suggest you keep it, as it is a very good program. Also, you do not need avg running at startup. Just run a scan with it every few weeks or so.

On a similar note, I have already paid for McAfee viruscan enterprise, but I'm worried that it didn't catch this sucker. Are there any ones you would recommend more, or are they just about as good as McAfee? I know there are free ones like Avast and AntiVir--how do they match up?

The free Anti-viruses programs that we recommend here are all tested by experts and they all do a decent job. And they’re usually user friendly. However, if you don’t mind paying for an Anti-virus program then I would mention you looking into NOD32. Please remember you only need 1 Anti-virus program on your system. Having 2 does not give you more protection; in fact the Anti-virus will conflict with each other and use up large amounts of resources.

Between CLeanUp and ATF Cleaner, is there one you prefer/recommend over the other? How often should I run it?

They are both good programs. However, I prefer ATF Cleaner as it is a bit easier to use, and if any problems should arise we have the developer right here on the site :whistling: You should clean out your temps every few months.

Two more: Can I delete/uninstall the approximately two dozen fixes I have sitting on my desktop, or are there any I should hold on to for safekeeping? And last but certainly not least, is there something with system restore I should do now that I have a clean drive?

yes, you may remove everything that I had you download and all the other fixes you downloaded on your own.

Yes you can do this for your restore points:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

That'll do it. Thankyouthankyouthankyou again for all your help and in advance for your answers. I found out the bank is crediting me the money I paid for WinAntiSpy 2006, so I'm going to donate half of it here and half of it to HiJackThis. In the meantime, here's one last ninja emoticon:

Thats good to hear about your bank :blink:
As for the donations to the site this may help you:
http://www.geekstogo...ation-t132.html
http://www.geekstogo...edback-f15.html

You're very Welcome :help:

Edited by Maiestas, 13 November 2006 - 06:46 PM.

JohnHenry

JohnHenry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
[/quote]
Thats good to hear about your bank :whistling:
As for the donations to the site this may help you:
http://www.geekstogo...ation-t132.html
http://www.geekstogo...edback-f15.html

You're very Welcome :blink:
[/quote]

Got it and done. I tried to donate directly to you but apparently that's not happening. Instead, I'll leave you with a quote from Vladimir Nabokov, who was not only a beautiful writer (author of Lolita) but also an accomplished lepridologist (butterfly collector). This is from his lecture on the short story "The Metamorphosis," by Kafka, which if you're not familiar involves the main character, Gregor Samsa, turning into a giant bug. I share it with you in tribute to the butterfly wings on your fairy icon thingie:

"Apart from this he has a tremendous convex belly divided into segments and a hard rounded back suggestive of wing cases. In beetles these cases conceal flimsy little wings that can be expanded and then may carry the beetle for miles and miles in a blundering flight. Curiously enough, Gregor the beetle never found out that he had wings under the hard covering of his back. (This is a very nice observation on my part to be treasured all your lives. Some Gregors, some Joes and Janes, do not know that they have wings."

Happy soaring~! And thank you again.

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.