Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing and so are all my files

• Please log in to reply

MalcolmReay

MalcolmReay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Computer running XP. Power shut off in error. When re-booted, got the NTLDR is missing message. 4 days later, tried all the download fixes, Recovery Console did nothing. Gave up and installed new hard drive and re-installed XP. I can see the old hard drive but not the files, and the size is wrong. Using various software, I can see true size of drive (80GB) but cannot see or retrieve any files. Help!

Advertisements

phoneman38703

phoneman38703

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm currently having this problem on my son's pc. I've read dozens of threads and so far this is the best I've been able to come up with so far. Use a different PC with the same OS that your has, and format a disk. search for and copy to the floppy the following files: NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, and BOOT.INI For boot.ini to work, the second PC needs to have the same basic hard drive type (IDE, etc). Goto this MS link for more detail http://support.micro...kb;en-us;325879
After I created this disk I can get my PC to boot up normally and XP seems to work fine. UNTIL I try to reboot then back to NTLDR missing. Good luck!