Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR not found

• Please log in to reply

frusic

frusic

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm using a laptop right now, but my computer is sitting beside me unable to start. It says NTLDR not found, and I'm pretty sure it's sitting in my recycling bin.

I would really appreciate any help!! And if you can help me, use simple terms - I'm computer illiterate. :tazz:

Advertisements

frusic

frusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
* and I can't boot from my win XP CD b/c my drives aren't working...

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You need to go into your bios and set the system to boot from your cd drive first. Once you have done that, follow these steps:

Windows XP users

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

frusic

frusic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Kidnova...my CD drives won't read anything, it's an unrelated problem to the NTLDR thing, but I haven't been able to fix it.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Do you have a floppy drive that works? If you do, set up your bios to boot from the floppy drive first. Then follow the instructions on this site:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/ntboot/

If you get the system booted. Copy the two files from earlier into into you main folder on your boot hard drive.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Might want to check out this site... :tazz:

http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

B