Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC2100 vs. PC2700

• Please log in to reply

superman55027

superman55027

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have been talking to a few different people one of them from IBM help services. We were discussing the upgrading of RAM for my computer. I have PC2100 in my laptop right now, but I was told that I could put PC2700 in my computer I was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on the subject of what I can and cannot put in my computer that will work main reason is because I can get a really good deal on PC2700 RAM. So if any one knows for sure please let me know. By the way I have a IBM T30. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have been talking to a few different people one of them from IBM help services. We were discussing the upgrading of RAM for my computer. I have PC2100 in my laptop right now, but I was told that I could put PC2700 in my computer I was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on the subject of what I can and cannot put in my computer that will work main reason is because I can get a really good deal on PC2700 RAM. So if any one knows for sure please let me know. By the way I have a IBM T30. Thanks for all the help.

The pc2700 is compatable but the thing is when you get a higher speed of memory when you are already running a lower speed of memory all of the memory will run at the lowest memory speed.

For example, you have pc2100 in your computer right now and if you get pc2700 it will work but the pc2700 will run at the lowest memory speed which is pc2100... So it means that all of the modules even the new will run at pc2100 speed, that is just the way it is when you mix different memory speeds. :whistling:

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hey thanks for the ultra fast reply. That is what what I had heard. I was just looking to save a couple bucks and now you have helped me to so that thanks for all the help.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If you can get a good deal on a memory with a large capacity maybe like 1gb you won't need the old pc2100 and you can just take it out.

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ya thats what my plan is because I can only have 1gb in my computer and I have a bad RAM port it my cpu and the way it sounds i would have to replace the the whole mobo to fix it so thats out of the question, but my aunt work for IBM so I can get used sticks of 1 GB PC2700 for $60 so I think I am just going to pick one of those up.