Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Which is a better card GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP8X or Geforce 6600 GT AGP4X/8X? I'll be putting one or the other in a Dell Dimension 4600.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The 6600 is 2 generations and then some ahead of the 440. There's no comparison to be made.

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
So if I pull the 6600 from my Dell 8300 and put in a GeForce 7800GS AGP, then pull the GeForce 4 MX 440 from my Dell 4600 and put in the 6600, I'll be doing good?

Thank yopu.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
There have been some issues with 8000 series dells and 7800 GS cards, but other than that, yeah, it'd be a big upgrade all around.

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
What issues would that be? I have heard the 8300 with a 250 watt power supply was a problem. I upgraded my 8300 power supply to 410Watts. Are there any more suprises I should look for?

Thank you.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That should be fine, and everything should work ok, but I've seen some cases where Dells in that series (and a couple others) would just completely refuse to start with 7800 GS cards in them. For my money, I'd go with a 7600 GS, based on the market, cards scheduled for release in the near future, and the actual performance limitations of AGP.

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
To late I have already purchased the 7800 GS. I hope all will be OK. As soon as I receive the video card and install it, I'll let you know if all goes well. Thank you.