Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

useless files

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I was just wondering since I have come across a lot of failed installations if there is a program or a way to take out old files that are not being used that were installed with a program that was uninstalled or had a failed installation. If there is a way or even better if there is a program that might do some of it for you let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will do what you need, run disc clean up then registry clean up then go to optimise to run registry defrag, after the reboot, defrag the drive

TuneUp

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks Keith, I appreciate the help! Any idea why my computer would take so long to shut down?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most likely to be an incomplete install / uninstall and the PC checks this and looks for the missing bits, my anti-virus insistes on being the last one out so that increases shutdown. If you have the XP CD, insert it then cancel it when loaded then click start thenr run the type sfc /scannow then press enter, this will check the system files, you get a blue progress bar which just goes off when complete.

Another check is for the disk but it takes a while, click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then press enter then type Y on the next screen then reboot.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I don't have an XP disk since my computer was built at a shop, but I did the disk check and it did not seem to help.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello there have a look at this site,hope it's of use to you.

http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

dtrain

dtrain

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
[removed - spam]

Edited by admin, 17 June 2005 - 06:03 AM.