Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So I ruined my computer

• Please log in to reply

palican

palican

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I'm in need of some dire help.

I have windows XP, and I had learned that a program called "Eraser" is good with security. So I download Eraser, which is supposed to overwrite data with patterns. I choose to overwrite unused space on the C drive, and afterwards Internet Explorer does not properly load! The top inch of the page comes up but nothing else! Here is a screenshot: Posted Image

Everything works VERY slow now as well. Mozilla Firefox works ok but most text is in cursive and I don't know how to reverse that.

I feel so awful because I wrecked the computer that my parents use! I would gratefully accept any help you guys can give me! My AIM is "thecyclopsraptor" if one of you wants to help me there.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try a system restore and get rid of that erase program

ugliest program ive heard

nothing can be fixed with it

if you want to uninstall programs or files i can help in a much more safer way

Edited by rushin1nd, 06 November 2006 - 11:55 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to use another computer to download the IE installer package, about 480kb, to a floppy and run it on that machine to reinstall IE. You need the one for your version of IE. You can find it at the Microsoft Downloads site. It should reinstall and replace the missing parts without any problem. It may tell you that IE is already installed, just ignore that.