Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inverter or screen - which is it?

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

If you have a problem with a laptop screen is there a definitive way of telling whether it is the inverter that has failed or the screen? I have seen a number of forums mention the possibility of either but no way of actually definitively telling.

I have a HP NX9105 where the display is extremely dim but is just visible in light and an inverter will cost a third of the price of a screen but I don't want to buy both if only one needs to be replaced. Have tried the Fn buttons and the screen button.

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Regards, stucuk

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi stucuk. Take a look at this.

http://www.lcdpart.com

http://www.fixmymonitor.com

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the reply but slight problem, I'm in the UK!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the Windows desktop, hold the Fn key and press the F7 and F8 keys to increase or decrease the brightness of the display. If using the function keys does not resolve the problem, determine whether the Lid Actuator switch is stuck.

Some notebook PCs have the ability to adjust the brightness through video drivers. If the notebook PC has video drivers with this capability, perform the following steps:

Click Start, Control Panel and then double click Display.
Select the Settings tab and click Advanced.
If the feature is available, a tab with the video card name will be present. If it is, select that tab.
Adjust the desired brightness.

The Lid Actuator switch is a small button or switch located above the keyboard and LEDs on the right or left side of the notebook. It may also be located near the display hinges. Pressing this switch when the computer is on may turn the notebook display off or cause the notebook to enter a different power state.
Press the switch 2-3 times while observing the display. If the display is no longer dim the switch may need to be repaired. Contact HP service and support for further assistance.

If the display remains dim after the troubleshooting in this document it may be possible that the backlight is damaged. Please Contact HP service and support to schedule a repair.

SRX660