Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spellforce ( Order of the Dawn )

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Zeus_GB
I have tried what you suggested and i am still getting the flickering could this be something to do with the Graphics Card set up as when i play Spellforce This is the only Time that the Screen Flickers it does Not Do This at any other Time. Thank you again

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I've been doing a little bit of research and it appears that you're not the only person with this problem. The other people having this problem have very different PC configurations so I don't think it's your graphics card.

Some people have had luck with:

Turning off SLI (you're not using two graphics cards so it's not that).
Reducing the graphics settings.
Reducing the resolution.
Turning Vsync on or off.
Updating drivers.
Installing the latest patch.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Zeus_GB
Thank you for all your help and sticking with me What do you think the best course of action should be and what is this Turning Vsync on or off as i am still learning what everything is yet i have Reduced the resolution back to 60 Hertz where it started from and done the updates Please let me know what you think is the best thing to do now is. Thank you

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Basically Vsync (Vertical synchronization) stops the frame rate of the game going above the refresh rate of the monitor. It can stop tearing of textures and flickering of the screen.

Try turning vsync on it should be in the graphics options in the game.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Zeus_GB
Thanks very much for that i try that and let you know Thank you again

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Zeus_GB
I went into my Game options and Vertical synchronization was on so i turned it off but i am still getting the flickering is there anything else i can try. I was looking for a new game on the web to buy and found SPELLFORCE 2: SHADOW WARS but there is a note on it saying this
Please Note: This is a DVD-ROM title and will not work on CD-ROM drives. My question is with the drive i have does this mean i cannot buy this Game or is there anything else i can do so that i can buy this Game any advice would be great.Thank you again

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars is DVD only as far as i'm aware but your specs
list your drive as "HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B" which is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive.

I got a copy of Spellforce yesterday, give me a while to install it and have a look in the options for it.

bushp04

bushp04

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Zeus and cheyenne,
I noticed your conversation because I'm having a flickering issue with Flight Simulator 2004. It occurred immediately after installing additional RAM. The main point I wanted to bring up is about the drivers for GeForce 6200, which is the AGP I use. Over in the flightsim DC forums, a fellow simmer told me that it might not always be the best idea to have the latest graphics drivers for, say, an older card such as the 6200. I currently have the 94.71 update. This guy is still using the 84.20 driver with excellent results.

Just wondering if Zeus has any thoughts about this, and if it is a possible cause, could it apply to both cheyenne's and my situations?

Thanks,

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The newer 9x.xx series drivers are known to cause a lot of problems with games. I had problems with blue screens, crashes, graphics corruption and since i've downgraded 84.21 have had no problems.

If you developed the problem straight after adding RAM then I would suggest running a memory tester such as Memtest86+ to check for dodgy RAM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Zeus_GB
I realized later on that mines is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive sorry about that. so i will buy the next version of Spellforce SHADOW WARS and please let me know if you come up with anything i'll check back tomorrow. Thanks again

Hi bushp04 Thanks for your Info if my problem gets worked out i'll let you know

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I managed to install SpellForce and what I time I had getting it to work. Everytime I changed the graphics options it threw me back to the desktop with an error. It did that three times and then it wouldn't load at all saying resolution not found, please install the latest drivers or something like that. I had to manually edited the configuration file to get it to work.

Can you try installing the Nvidia 84.21 drivers. Just trying to check whether it's those 9x.xx drivers doing it.

http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html

What graphics settings are you using?
By this I mean what settings are the following set to.
Screen resolution, filter, texture quality, shadowtype, decorative objects. environment mapping, effect lightmap, flat shades, vsync, avoid input lag.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 30 November 2006 - 03:10 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi ZEUS_GB
I just went to check my Graphic settings so here they are Screen resolution 1024x768x16 filter Biliner, texture quality High, shadow High, environment mapping on, effect lightmap on, flat shades on, vsync off, avoid input lag off this how mine are set let me know how you get on. Thanks again

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi ZEUS_GB
I have been trying to download Nvidia 84.21 drivers as you suggested but i am now getting an Error message which says Windows Explorer cannot download P2k_International_whql.exe from download.nvidia.com The operation timed out i have tried a few times let me know how you get on Thank you again

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Just below primary download site there are three mirror sites.

Have you tried one of the mirror sites?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi ZEUS_GB
I have tried the mirror three mirror sites should i uninstall the Game and try one of the mirrors or the others and leave the option as unchanged as when it was first installed will this help or not and how do you think the options should be setup anyway let me know how you got on with the Game setup. Thank you again