Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
so i bought a 300 gig sata drive, and when i booted up windows xp on it it only comes up at 127 gigs. I tried everything i knew how, is there maybe something small that im overlooking?

Thanks for your help guys

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Sorry if this seems too obvious, but how big did you make the partition and are there any other partitions on the hd taking up space?

Edit: typo

Edited by mpfeif101, 07 November 2006 - 10:10 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Also u might try installing the drivers if the hard drive came with a cd or checking windows xp for drivers. It happens sometimes, I would also suggest dling the demo of partition magic 8.0, because it will allow you to see the entire drive, see if there is unallocated space or if xp is just not recognizing it.

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
thanks for the fast responses,

its the first drive on a new system, i ran the cd that came with the drive, and all the drivers are up to date..

when xp asked me to partition, the biggest possible was 131 (ish) gigs,

In the bios the hard disk properties says its capacity is 300, but i cant get anywhere near that number in my computer

ill try that program you said

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Upgrade past SP1. XP will only see a maximum of 120GB (can look like 131 GB due to translation differences from byte - gigabytes) before Service Pack 1.

dospoy

dospoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
thank you very much. this site rocks..seriously