Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition, Installation Problem, XP Arg! Windows2000!

• Please log in to reply

listerdl

listerdl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I was running Windows2000 but then installed XP Pro which installed itself fine but it kept the Windows2000 as a partition. The laptop - 1.2 MHz processor, 20 GB Hard Drive, DVD, and 256 Memory is hair-pulling out painfully s-l-o-w. Its driving me nuts...i mean it works but it is so slow....

therefore... :blink: please.....

Can you please help me with the following?

Either - is there anyway to delete the Windows2000 (this might speed up the laptop)? If this is possible I guess it would need to be done through the BIOS or other such ways - Im no expert here but can deduce what to do, I just need an authoritative person to help out :whistling:

Or...to solve the problem.....if I get a new XP disc (cant find the old one) will it wipe everything else and install ONLY XP? I.e. give me the option to have One Partition for XP?

Thanks....am also toying with the idea to blitz the whole thing and slap ubuntu on the lappy.

Thanks for all replies/help - Really Appreciate it!! Lister from London!

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
How much spare memory do you have left out of the 20gb?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
If I was you, I would upgrade more ram on your laptop. XP doesnt run very good with 256MB of RAM.

listerdl

listerdl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the answers, Im thinking that it must be down to the RAM issue then.

Maybe the answer is to re-install Windows2000 and then thats it. Job done. Windows2000 works better on less RAM right?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Is there an issue with starting over fresh? Save important files to disk then reformat and reinstall the wanted OS? In the time that it takes to fiddle around with what you have noted, you could have saved time by just getting on with the reformat...drastic but a lot less head-aches.

You're on the right track with the new disk approach, but see if you can find a buddy with an exact same version and use it to do the donkey work.

More RAM is never money wasted, but be sure that you really need it. Get rid of some of the junque progs that are resource hungry if they are not absolutley necessary. Increase your file cache size. Set it up to delete the pagefile.sys file upon reboot... After the laptop finished loading, go to the systray and kill as many icons that you can. Download and install "Process Explorer" and use it to kill some progs that don't need to be running. Check out a wee prog called StopIt from http://www.McDev.com ...brilliant! to kill processes immediately when they act up...

Is this the sequence of steps that you followed...

1. you had 2000?
2. you installed XP? over it...
3. XP installed itself, independent of our input, to a new partition?
4. was there no option to deal with the old partition where 2000 was? I've not used 2000 so I don't know...I went from 98SE to Millenium then to XP.

listerdl

listerdl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the answer and my apologies for the late reply...

When you say "reformat and reinstall the wanted OS" is this just a question of slapping in a copy of say Windows2000 professional and it will wipe everything else on the Harddrives/partitions??

- (currently XP and Win2000 are installed and it cant cope...)

Thanks for the answers and help.