Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer crashed and now will not start at all

• Please log in to reply

cyndromeda

cyndromeda

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have an emachines w2047, with xp. i am going to give a series event that i have no idea if they are related or not. first, 2 days ago, my computer lost its network connection while it was in use. after restarting a couple of times, it worked again. the following morning, i lost my network connection again. after some effort, i got it back. then last night, the computer lost the internet connection while i was using it. i tried to restart, and it froze up in the middle of booting up. i kept trying to reboot, and eventually got the BSOD. the error said something about NV_4. (unfortunately, i did not write this one down) i tried to do a system restore, but it froze in the middle of it. when i got up this morning, i tried starting it a few times. sometimes, it would seem to boot up, never with a network connection, then i got the BSOD again. this time, the error was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. i got this error a couple of times in between it almost booting, then it would not even start. when i turn it on, the fans cut on, and the yellow standby light comes on, but it never goes any further. now, that is where it's at, in a coma, or on its deathbed. i have had suggestions that it might be the power supply, but would the fan even come on in that case? if it were the mother board, would that mean that the hard drive was destroyed too?
any suggestions on what to do? is there a way to retrieve all my photographs that are on the hard drive?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just delt with a Emachines T2642 computer with the same problem. As the people did not want to spend much money trying to find the problem i gave them a trade-in value they accepted toward buying a Intel 3.0 computer i was selling.

I never could figure out what was wrong with the computer but narrowed it down to the motherboard. They wanted me to save anything i could off the old 40G HD. So i went thru the hassle of putting another person as the ownership of the files when i installed the HD in another computer to get the data. Needless to say that now i recommend that people make a new folder on the "C" drive outside of the "Documents and Settings" folder for files and pictures if they want to get to them easily. There was nothing wrong with the HD and i used it for a secondary HD in another older computer that had a 20 G HD for its main drive. The power supply still works and i am using it to test other computers that come in dead. It's just that its only a 250 Watt PS so its not really powerfull enough to use with newer motherboards and computer builds.

Heres the Microsoft article on folder ownership.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

After changing the power supply, cd-rw, dvd rom, and motherboard the E-machine computer now sports a Gigabyte MiniATX MB, Intel ceder mills 3.0 cpu, 160 G HD, nec 3550a dvd-rw, Lite-on dvdrom and a thermotake 500 watt PS. It runs well and is a nice sized computer for someone when i sell it. Those E-machine cases are not bad cases at all.

SRX660