Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

There seems to be a connection between the maori culture and the hawai

• Please log in to reply

Sir Grand Funk

Sir Grand Funk

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I mean, they say they came from "Hawaiki" and they speak of "Tiki"s.. The whole cluture in generall just seems very close.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i believe they're all of polynesian desent...samoans...the new zealand natives...stuff like that...i believe their roughly from the same ancesstors

Edited by dsenette, 08 November 2006 - 06:02 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I don't understand why this would be hard to imagine...these ancient peoples had boats and knew how to use them long before Europeans "discovered" them. I hate "Columbus Day", too. There were lots of people in North and South America who knew where they were, and didn't exactly benefit from being "discovered"!
Johanna

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hawai is a modern name most of these places had completely different names just hundreds of years ago let alone thousands. But most of the people native to that region are from a similar genetic pool boats were essential to survival of island communities and maintaining genetic diversity what they did is hop from island to island as easily as people in Europe could cross the Mediterranean or the channel. Easier in some ways because of better weather and shorter distances, you can go from island to island in that area of the world for thousands of miles in small ships and canoes.

Celebrating discovery of places seems to be a colonial thing.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I was on the island of Kauai a little over a year ago, and there are chickens running wild everywhere. They've been living on the island for something like 1,000 years. The people who traveled from island to island would bring the chickens with them so they knew there would be food to eat. Likewise, there are only a handful of plants and trees that are native to the island - most of them were also carried by these early people.