Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Core 2 Duo or Dual Core Pentium D?

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm looking for a decent system to buy for a family member, budget is about £400. I've seen a few nice looking specs within that price range on ebay, some Pentium D dual core, others Pentium Core 2 Duo. I was initially looking for a Core 2 Duo but after seeing some of these prices I've started to consider Pentium D. These are the main two offers:

Core 2 Duo:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem
I would have gone for something like this.

Pentium D Dual Core:
This one has 64bit processing capabilities (don't think they exist on core 2 duo yet..?) and seems to be pretty fast at 6.8ghz (but maybe still not as good as Core 2 Duo 6300?). Not so good ram, ddr400.

Also this one:
This one has a slower cpu but 2GB of ddr2 ram and a larger hard disk. I'm not sure if this cpu is 64 bit capable?

What is difference between core 2 duo and the pentium d? I read pentium d is a budget cpu (and great for overclocking, though I won't be considering that straight away). Is there a big performance difference? Which of these systems would any of you suggest? Which is best value? Since first posting this on another site it seems the core 2 duo ebay link shows a different system costing £600, this isn't the exact spec I looked at before. Also someone has said these deals have cpu's that are overclocked, and probably cooled with liquid nitrogen?! I'd appreciate any comments.

Thank you!

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi Ldee;

Since Core 2 Duo processors are fairly new to the market you can't really find a good deal on them, but on the other Pentium Ds are now pretty affordable since their an older model of Intel.

Ldee

Ldee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for the reply. Whats the difference between them though? Pentium D's have 2 cores and they enable hyper threading, they are even 64 bit which I heard the core 2 duo's are not. So what's the advantage in getting a core 2 duo?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
fastest possible response, pD single core seperated into 2, core 2 duo seperae single cores, core 2 duo faster front side buss 1066 mhz, oppssed to 800mhz for pD, L2cache different also