Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Drives

• Please log in to reply

Morpheus

Morpheus

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
How do I delete virtual drives?

everytime i start my computer up, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon shows in the toolbar and says i have "J" "I" "H" and "G" Generic drives.

i never even connect anything while booting up, so im assuming its a virtual drive.

how do i delete it?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
What you describe is characteristic of having one of those 7 in 1 media card readers.

Do you have one? If so, its normal.

crazyivan2

crazyivan2

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
i have the same thing on my pc, no media drive

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Windows XP does not create virtual drives by itself.. Something, perhaps a printer or a scanner with media card readers, something is generating these extra drive letters. What category are they under in the my computer console?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
these drives are handy
if you have any saved data on a memory stick you can install it that way
just put memory stick in click my computer and it should show up on one of the drives then you click on that particular drive and install or save whatever you want to memory stick
safely remove hardware helps you take your memory stick out without causing or erasing anything you save or have saved on memory stick

or the drives can used for storage device plug ins

cant see why you would want to delete those drives
you might even cause severe damage to your computer removing system drives
causing all kinds of blue screen of death and stop errors
so trying to customize your computer that way may not be such a good idea

if its space your after only install what you need from a program
alot of programs have so much extras that no one really needs

Morpheus

Morpheus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
oh ok thanks for tha info i think i have a 9-1 btw

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

these drives are handy
if you have any saved data on a memory stick you can install it that way
just put memory stick in click my computer and it should show up on one of the drives then you click on that particular drive and install or save whatever you want to memory stick
safely remove hardware helps you take your memory stick out without causing or erasing anything you save or have saved on memory stick

or the drives can used for storage device plug ins

cant see why you would want to delete those drives
you might even cause severe damage to your computer removing system drives
causing all kinds of blue screen of death and stop errors
so trying to customize your computer that way may not be such a good idea

if its space your after only install what you need from a program
alot of programs have so much extras that no one really needs

i'm gonna disagree with some of this here....if the drive letters are showing up WITHOUT a corresponding device (be that a virtual cd drive created by you're burning software or any of the other virtual drive softwares that make virtual HD's)...then something isn't good...."extra" drives SHOULD only be showing up when there is a device to occupy that drive mapping...I.E. if you don't have a media reader (which...morpheus says he does so that's where that letter is comming from) or USB drive or anything like that hooked up...the drive shouldn't be tehre..and any time you try to access it it should fail...if there are too many drive letters occupied by phantom devices...when you DO actually plug in a device....it won't be able to attach itself to a drive letter and therefore won't work.....any time there's a drive letter showing up in my computer...there HAS to be a device (virtual or physical) connected...otherwise something's wrong