Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I closed out Firefox and was prompted to download version 1.05.08, I believe this was the last update prior to 2.0. Any how, I downloaded the update and restarted as directed and then when I opened Firefox back up it would not connect to anypage. I jumped right on Opera and proceded to Getfirefox.com and thought that maybe since v. 2.0 was released I would download that and it may help. It did not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have no proxy, my firewall is configured correctly. I connect to the Internet via a Linksys wireless router which is also configured correctly. Just a little FYI.
Thanks.
*EDIT*
Since posting this I have reverted back to my previous version which was 1.5.0.6 , This however did not work either. I really hope my only option here isn't a complete uninstall and reinstall.

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 09 November 2006 - 10:48 PM.

Advertisements

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add or Remove Programs
  • Firefox
  • Remove
Remove firefox, then proceed back to Get Fire Fox and download the latest version of firefox(which is 2.0)
And it isn't all that bad uninstalling and reinstalling, it doesn't take that long.
If your worried about the bookmarks I'm pretty sure they are still there but not 100% sure.

Edited by kws_divine, 09 November 2006 - 10:57 PM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Thanks for the try, but for future reference read the whole post that you are replying to. I have already tried that. Im not being an a** just a little constructive criticism.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I figured it out.
TOPIC CLOSED
:whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Your post said you had reverted to 1.5.0.6

The advice you overlooked was re-installing 2.0

Remove firefox, then proceed back to Get Fire Fox and download the latest version of firefox(which is 2.0)

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts

I closed out Firefox and was prompted to download version 1.05.08, I believe this was the last update prior to 2.0. Any how, I downloaded the update and restarted as directed and then when I opened Firefox back up it would not connect to anypage. I jumped right on Opera and proceded to Getfirefox.com and thought that maybe since v. 2.0 was released I would download that and it may help. It did not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have no proxy, my firewall is configured correctly. I connect to the Internet via a Linksys wireless router which is also configured correctly. Just a little FYI.
Thanks.
*EDIT*
Since posting this I have reverted back to my previous version which was 1.5.0.6 , This however did not work either. I really hope my only option here isn't a complete uninstall and reinstall.

Third and fourth line.

...and proceded to Getfirefox.com and thought that maybe since v. 2.0 was release I would download that and it may help. It did not.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Your post said you had reverted to 1.5.0.6

The advice you overlooked was re-installing 2.0

hrmz....why on earth would I want to uninstall and then reinstall the same thing that didn't work in the first place? I can understand uninstalling it, but to reinstall it, thats like my saying my windows XP box that I upgraded from windows ME quit working so I'll format the Hard Disk and reinstall ME it from my OEM disks, and that should fix it!

Anyways it doesnt matter, I fixed it and it works fine, BTW I'll be sticking with Firefox 1.5.0.6 as it seems that all updates since then have very bad memory leaks.

Oh, and I learned my lesson from the other Mods/Admins here prior to this to not question them, so if I offended you I appologize. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem :whistling:

Sometimes uninstall / re-install works

How did you fix it?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
about:config
network.dns.disableIPv6
Set the value to true
Backed up my profile files to desktop deleted the files and then replaced the files back into the profile. Haven't had a problem since. Was almost on the verge of just wiping everything Firefox out and thought I'd just try that first, and well it worked perfectly.
Of course my about:config probably looks like nothing youv'e ever seen :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting your solution