Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Eliminate Ping Response

• Please log in to reply

Coop88

Coop88

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I just configured a new modem and router. I went to the Shields Up! website and found that the only thing my system is failing is the ping response. Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, how would I keep my computer from responding to a ping? Is that done in the router firewall (D-Link DGL 4300), or in my PC firewall (ZoneAlarm)? If playing online games, is disabling ping response really a good idea?

Just checked inside ZoneAlarm, under firewall, then custom, the boxes for allowing ICMP and ICMP echo are unchecked, if that helps.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the ICMP echo is what you'd want to block if y ou're wanting to block the ping....but...i don't think that a ping reply is going to open you up to the dangers of the world....also blocking icmp may have effects on your gaming...if someone wants to gain access to your pc remotely...ICMP probably wont be the deal breaker...

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I won't worry about it then. Thanks for the reply.