Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan suddenly starting to run more often

• Please log in to reply

wilzn2

wilzn2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have a brand new HP Pavilion Media Center CPU that I bought in May. It has worked well. This morning, the CPU fan started to run very often --- i.e. every 5 - 10 minutes for a minute or so. It has never done this before. It is not on carpeting, and it is not any warmer in the room than it ever has been before. I have not added any additional peripherals, software, etc. Nothing has changed since yesterday. I do routine maintenance on this CPU and, from the outside of the case, blow out the dust from the vents once a month.

Can someone please:

1) Give me some hints as to why my fan might be running more all of the sudden and

2) Give me some ideas on free software downloads to monitor my CPU temp?

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

2) Give me some ideas on free software downloads to monitor my CPU temp?

i've used speedfan with good results (google it)
some here recomend cpu-z as well

1) Give me some hints as to why my fan might be running more all of the sudden

from the outside of the case, blow out the dust from the vents once a month.

do y ou also clean out the inside of the case? if you're using canned air from the outside...it would seem that you would be pushing the dust INSIDE of the case...have you tried opening the case and cleaning the inside with the canned air?(or whatever yoiu're using) make sure to hold any fans still inside so that the air doesn't burn out the bearings

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something to watch for is the CPU usage, keep your Task Manager available and see if the usage is going to 100% and check to see what application is causing it. Some applications are very CPU instensive, video encoders for example, and that would be normal with them. But malware can also be CPU instensive. Also it there is a poor thermal connection between the cooler and the CPU you can get overheating very quickly.