Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible drivers or card imcompatibility issue

• Please log in to reply

rikkybones

rikkybones

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi there, this is my 1st post here so i hope you will be able to help with this head scratcher of an issue i've got :whistling:

after my nvidia 6800GT decided to bite the dust, i had to opt for a slightly cheaper card and got the leadtek 7600GS (AGP). things were working fine with regards to game playing and video playback until for some reason it stopped playing film clips both from the net and ones i have on my pc. i use WMP and when i load a movie file i can still see the WMP player background but the palce where the video should be playing is black. i still get sound but no video playback at all. plus my mouse pointer goes really slow and jumpy and when i check task manager, WMP is using up 98-100% of my CPU. i tried VLC player and real player and they were exactly the same. i've tried about 5 different drivers and updated my codecs and directx. the strange thing is when the drivers are installed my pc plays games but no video files, but if i uninstall the gfx drivers i can play my video clips again... meaning any time i want to play a game i have to install the drivers and vice versa if i want to watch a movie. if anyone can offer any help regarding this it will be much appreciated! ...oh yeah i also updated my bios and re flashed it as well.

many thanks

Bones

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
This happens because of Microsoft's AGP drivers. You can fix by downloading your motherboard AGP drivers (SIS/VIA etc) from their website.

Pulled from the NVidia forums.

http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=19961

Something to atleast look at unless one of the more experienced forum users has other suggestions.

rikkybones

rikkybones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi thanks for the reply. i tried installing the MSI 7030 agp drivers but its still exactly the same. have you got any other thoughts on this? TIA

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go. :whistling:

First I'd make sure you have the correct CODEC's to play the video. There are a number of free CODEC packs available.

Next, try http://www.drivercleaner.net. Remove any old drivers and do a clean install of the latest driver from nvidia.com

rikkybones

rikkybones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks mate, i'll try that now :whistling:

rikkybones

rikkybones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi mate, i tried drive cleaner and reinstalled my drives and its still the same. i'm busting to watch the departed as well lol

any other ideas?

thanks for your help so far by the way

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curiousity is killing me, can you watch those video in safemode since they won't be your specail drivers and you wont need to uninstall them

Edited by fleamailman, 10 November 2006 - 06:17 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Do you remember doing any work inside the case or installing/updating anything in the OS before this started?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
No, it's still a chipset driver issue. The 7030 is a K8N Neo series motherboard, which carries an nforce chipset, either nforce 2 or nforce 3 for an AGP board. You'll need the latest nforce drivers for your particular type (2 or 3) from www.nvidia.com.