Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Cooling

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I recently bought a laptop from Dell and got it a few days ago. One thing I've noticed IT GETS HOT. I'm not sure how hot.. but after it's been sitting on the desk I can touch the desk and it feels like its going to catch on fire. Even the keyboard on the notebook gets hot.

Now, I'm worried that this heat isn't good for my new laptop and may lead to issues down the road. I know too much heat isn't good for hardware. Should I be worried? I'm sure its natural of all notebooks...

I've seen the laptop coolpads and was curious if they really do help keep the laptop cool.

I got a Dell E1505 with a 1.66 Core Duo, 2GB of Ram, 120GB HD and a 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon. I want to extend the life of my laptop long as possible and keep it in good shape. I really don't plan on taking it anywhere but around the house.

I'd love any thoughts and opinions on the laptop cooling pads, or just on the cooling and the heat of laptops in general. Thanks to anyone that posts, I'll check here tonight when I get home from work :whistling:

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Download and run a temperature-monitoring program called SpeedFan.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Reply with the current temperatures and say how long the laptop has been running for, as obviously the temperature will increase once you start it up for the first time in a few hours.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
laptops in generall will get pretty hot...nature of the beast...they've got poor cooling and no airflow...but that said the components are designed to handle MUCH higher temps (a mobile proc for example is usually capable of handling 100c according to documentation...that's freakin hot for a processor)...but that said...i never hurts to keep it as cool as possible...most of the laptop coolers just add airflow under the laptop to keep them cool...some actually cool the air first...but they usually help some

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I didn't know they were designed to handle higher temperatures. That's good to know. I guess I'll find out just what temperatures its running at and post here again.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
From your description, I'm wondering if all of the fans are working. My Gateway runs much cooler....

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
okay, been running about an hour. temperatures listed on SpeedFan.
HD0: 47C
Temp1: 39C

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
2 hours

HD0: 51C
Temp1:39C

HD0 has a flame icon next to it... hmmm

This is all being pulled from SpeedFan.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just installed Speedfan on my desktop and am looking at it......

edit....here's another one that seems specific to Dell notebooks:

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

Edited by macten, 11 November 2006 - 01:26 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a Dell fan control forum:

http://cdiefer.probo...gi?board=i8kfan

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
As to that flame you see: here's a copy and paste out of their help section:

"Those flames are not actually a problem. They are due to the fact that SpeedFan has been initially configured (by me) to expect lower values. "

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...depending on the setup those temps seem acceptable for an LT...the processor is actually lower than i had expected

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
well, this IS my first laptop.. but I think i'm going to get a cooler pad thingy (lol) just to down the temperature even more. I just don't like it being that high.

Thanks alot though for all the input.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
mines running
local temp : 74c
remote temp:81c
temp1: 77c

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Heres mine

MOBO: 35 degrees
Processor fan 17

I keep speedfan running at all times to see the change in temp.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I went ahead and got a cooling pad from newegg. I'll let you guys know what kind of difference it makes.