Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help buying a gaming laptop.

• Please log in to reply

Echotrueno

Echotrueno

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm planning on buying my son a Laptop for christmas.
Particularly a gaming laptop.

Im looking for anything that could run world of warcraft at a very high resolution.

If anyone has any suggestions on a specific brand, or model please let me know.

Any help at all would be very appreciated.

thank you.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi;

I'm just curious how much are you willing to pay?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Honestly if you're going to buy a gaming laptop, if you're willing to spend a lot of money, you should go for an Alienware. They are very pricey but honestly they're the only gaming laptop worth buying otherwise you should go for a desktop. For a price range on an Alienware its anywhere from like 900-2000 maybe more. I'm not the most advanced techy here at GeeksToGo but I know laptops aren't the best for gaming especially for WoW at a high resolution. Thats just my opinion but wait for someone like warriorscott, or dsennete to post to cause their the most knowledgable.

Echotrueno

Echotrueno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well thank you very much. I know of alienware, and the fact that they do make great machines. I was just curious if anything else out there could compare to alienware, for a cheaper price.

As for price range anything under 2000.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I f your willing to spend that much I think you should go for Alienware unless someone else says otherwise. Me myself have gone on their website and customized my own laptop for about 1700. I still would wait to see what some of the more experienced techs here to give you an answer.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Alienware became crap (relatively) once Dell bought them. check out Falcon Northwest www.falcon-nw.com/ if you're looking to spend a decent chunk of cash. Their support is pretty decent, and you get exactly what you pay for.

That being said, if WoW is going ot be the main concern, you don't need to go nearly that high end. I could install WoW to my toaster and it would run fine. I used to run it, perfectly well, at 1280x1024 on a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite. Essentially, anything you purchase that has a decent graphics adapter built into it will be fine, mine had the Intel 80xxx series integrated, and it was wonderful.
I'm not too big on current laptop tech, or what's big in the market, specs wise, so I'll leave that to others, but some general things:

At least a 15" screen.
At least 1GB of RAM, preferably more.
No graphics adapters except: Intel, nVidia, or ATI
You generally want built in wireless, cd (or dvd) burner, and Windows XP Home or Pro, not MCE, or x64, or any other variant.
You're going to be looking at what's called the "Desktop Replacement" models, as opposed to the ultra-thin, super portable, easy to do work on a plane with models.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Dell bought them. I didn't know that, if I did I wouldn't of said what I said. Dell is crap.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell own them but they are still pretty independant the systems havent changed they just have a bit more money these days, Alienware are still good, if you want the highest of high end alienware are the only multinational choice, but if you cant afford the best most laptop makers have high end gaming systems, the acer ferrari range for example.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
No, Falcon Northwest ships internationally, and they've been better than alienware for years, just not as well known.