Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost My Win XP Disk

• Please log in to reply

peace25

peace25

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I lost my original win xp disc but still have the product key.
I was given a new computer and need to load win xp onto it - is there a way to burn xp from my original computer onto a cdrom so that I can install it onto my new machine?

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
No, not legally. Borrow the disk from a friend.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/ follow this guide to create a legal XP CD, use the i386 folder from your C:\WINDOWS\i386.

-OCM770-

P.S. make sure you DO slipstream

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just a point, if the XP on the old computer came with that computer when you bought it, it is more likely to be OEM version of XP, and OEM version usually only works for the system that they were meant for and cannot be transfered to another different configuration

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
didn't think of that, good point, thanks for pointing that out fleamailman. If not then, feel free to use the guide :whistling:

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 11 November 2006 - 08:08 PM.