Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with pc parts

• Please log in to reply

danny251

danny251

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Is ebuyer.co.uk the best place for buying parts in the uk?

I went into a pc shop and got quoted £1,102.50 for my pc.

I have been looking on ebuyer and have found the parts so much cheaper.

Could you tell me if all these parts will work together properly so I know if I can go ahead and buy?

2 Hard drives

Graphics Card

Motherboard

Floppy Drive

Intel Dual Core Processor

Also could you suggest a power supply and case?

I don't know what to get when it come to these.

P.S New price £747.85 just shows how much cheaper it is if you do it yourself :whistling:

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
If you post the exact products we can easily help you out. Reply with all the details you know about the parts you want and their model numbers etc.

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hard Drive
2X Maxtor 6L250R0 Diamondmax 10 250GB 7200rpm ATA/133 16MB Cache - OEM

Graphics Card
Asus ATI X1600Pro 512MB PCI-E

Motherboard
Asus P5LD2 Deluxe Socket 775 I945P ATX Green Sound GigaLan USB 2.0 1394 FSB 1066 SATA R

Floppy
Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Drive / Media Drive SM/MS/MD/CF/MM/SD Silver

Processor
Intel Pentium D 940 (BX80553940) Dual Core 3.20GHz FSB 800 2 X 2Mb Cache LGA 775

RAM
Ebuyer 1GB DDR2 800 MHz PC2-6400 240pin Extra Value Ram 2 x 512 KIT

DVD Drive
Pioneer DVR-111DSV 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Silver) - OEM

Edited by danny251, 12 November 2006 - 11:10 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks for this post, it shows quite a big difference in price

yes, if you know what you are doing, if you have the time, it is better to do it yourself and cheaper: however, the problem is that it is very easy to get one bit wrong and then spend hours trying to find the one bit missed in the setup

also, if you ask someone else to do it and it doesn't work you have a means of redress whereas you don't if you do it by yourself

I conclude that it is good to swap parts as they tend to be easy and one learns by but only build kits if you really have the knowledge, this is probably why I always suggest going to the repair shop for changing the motherboard which is basically the head of the octopus and doing the rest oneself

Edited by fleamailman, 12 November 2006 - 11:14 AM.

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I will get someone who knows what they are doing to actually build the thing but I an just trying to sort the parts myself

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
So far it looks a good setup. Remember to shop around though, don't just go with the price of one retailer. Ebuyer and Dabs are two good reputable UK online stores.
If you're not confident enough in your system building knowledge don't attempt to build the system yourself, because if you damage anything, most retailers won't cover you for it.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
overclockers.co.uk