Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clicking and dragging and dropping

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
This problem has been going on for a few weeks now. I noticed that I cannot drag and drop my files anymore in windows explorer, or from my desktop to windows explorer, or visa versa.

Along with this issue, some of my programs or windows that I have open just randomly stop responding to my mouse clicks. For example, I turn on firefox and I can't click on my homepage button, my bookmarks button, and so on, but when I hit Ctrl Alt Delete on the keyboard and X out of the resulting pop up window, my mouse click is active in firefox again.

To add to the strangeness of this issue, I have a sheet music writing program that consists of buttons along the top of the screen, and the ability to click on a virtual musical staff to produce notes. Now every time I run this program, I am able to click on the buttons on top of the screen, but my mouse click does absolutly nothing when I try to add notes to the virtual staff. So in other words, sometimes my mouse click works for certain parts of programs, but not all of them.

This problem has even occured just as I start windows. Sometimes when I get to the desktop selection screen after the start-up of my computer, I can highlight my desktop icon but I cannot click on it.

And just to add one more issue, my Windows Firewall has been inactive for a very long time now, and I have not been able to figure out how to activate it (the On and Off options are faded out, with the selection stuck on Off).

I use a Dell XPS M140 Notebook with Windows XP Media Center Edition, service pack 2. I have tried scanning with my very well updated Norton Anti-virus program, along with Ad-Aware and EWido, all coming to no solution to this problem.

I fear that my computer will soon come crashing down in a frenzy of chaos and viruses if I don't act soon. Please help, and thanks in advance.

-Dan

Advertisements