Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer NOT BOOTING.

• Please log in to reply

ManaBananaSana

ManaBananaSana

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey. I have Windows 2000 Professional Edition and I have a problem. =/

My computer won't boot. It started this morning. I didn't have an active internet connection but my modem was lit up correctly. I went to Start and clicked Shut Down and selected Restart. It restarted. However, I was faced with an error. There was a missing file. "NTDLR" I believe it was called. It said "press any key to restart" beneath it. Every time I pressed a key, it still said "NTDLR is missing. Press any key to restart." I got frustrated and phoned a friend who looked up this problem for me. He said that I needed a Windows 2000 disc. I don't have any of those because I got my computer from a friend. So instead, he told me to get a floppy disc and create a disc from my laptop, which is a Windows 98. It was a StartUp disc, I believe it was called, but it had all of the .sys files and such that I would need for a Windows 98. He said it would work for me even though I had 2000. I tried ... and did a lot of other computer techy stuff. And now it doesn't tell me of that error.

From here, whenever I boot my computer on its own with no disc or floppy disc, it has the "Gateway" screen, but then it shows me a prompt screen that says:

C:\
C:\ _

And that is all. I'm not sure the correct prompt to make my computer boot.

Is my hard drive wiped? Is there any hope of resurrecting my computer? I have some important files that I would really hope not to lose ...

Any help at ALL would be really appreciated. I can't really live without my computer.

Emotional breakdown, people. >>

So please, any help would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
so you're saying you're on W2K, and after the 'repair' with the W98 floppy you rebooted and received a command prompt?

What Service Pack are you currently running? Can you boot into safe mode(press f8 while booting)? please answer these questions.

You should have NOT used a w98 floppy to repair W2K.

-OCM770-

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
About your only hope now is to either get a win2000 disk or make a set of win2000 boot floppies to work with, there are four of them and they can be downloaded from some websites and I beleive MS may have a download. If you've corrupted your disk so that the OS doesn't work you may still be able to recover your files by putting the disk in another machine with win2000 or XP. It would be a good idea to do that before proceeding to anything else because you may end up reinstalling the OS. You will not be able to save any programs, they will need to be reinstalled.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Then you need another desktop, set the jumper on your drive to slave (or cable select, i prefer slave :whistling: ) and connect to the mobo as a slave. Again, you should have NOT used w98 disks....

-OCM770-

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi MBS
Please start your computer and start tapping F8
You should get a screen that offers Lastknown good configuration please choose this.
Cheers
Peterm