Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probelms since upgrading videocard

• Please log in to reply

Krilikz

Krilikz

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well last year i got a new agp video card (msi geforce 6600 gt) and put it in my comp. Problem is i cant update the drivers AT ALL except for the one that it came with else the graphics of a game get all messed up. I have tried uninstalling the driver and using different ones but non of them work. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go and download driver cleaner and get rid of all previous drivers and reinstall the official driver from the msi site.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
In addition to what Gladiator said: Make sure that your chipset drivers are fully up to date, and try the 84.21 drivers available at www.nvidia.com, in the driver archive.

Note that when using driver cleaner, the order is: Uninstall drivers, reboot to safe mode, run driver cleaner only for nvidia, not for nforce, reboot to normal mode, reinstall driver.

Krilikz

Krilikz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Now how do i go about finding what chip set to download. How do i find what im useing?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If you can give us the model and manufacturer of your computer or motherboard (if it was a do it yourself type machine), we can help you find that.

Krilikz

Krilikz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok well i finally found it

Socket 478
Chip set: Sis 651?
Manufacturer : Asus
Mother board model p4s533-vm
http://usa.asus.com/...m/p4s533-vm.zip

Now i was able to find many pages of downloads, but this is where i need help cause i have never done this before.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Go to www.sis.com/download, accept the license agreement, tell it your operating system, and grab the latest AGP (GART) driver listed there.

Krilikz

Krilikz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Now ill assume to clean out "Sis Grafics" in driver cleaner?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
You shouldn't need to, but you can, if you like.

Krilikz

Krilikz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you very much for your help!