Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i have 200g hd only 127 available how do i get all 200g

• Please log in to reply

goodcomic

goodcomic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have a seagate 200g hardrive it say only 127 g available i want to make this my backup hd how do i wipe it out and get all 200g thanks so much xp os

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Put the XP Repair cd, it'll let you format and reinstall XP through the cd. Step-by-step process, should be easy. Good luck.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Are you updated to at least Windows XP Service pack 1? Pre-SP1, XP could not recognize more than that amount of hard drive space.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
haha I think that XP should be reading that. They have much larger spaces of HD to read. I haven't herd of that being a problem except when windows DOS - windows 98 came out.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
No, seriously. Windows XP, without Service Pack 1, will not read anything over 120GB. Any drives over 120GB it just reads as 120.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
read this:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=hdd_lim

goodcomic

goodcomic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thnaks guys i went to seagate.com got the disc wizard and ran that tool and it freed up to 186g so happy about that..thanks for the help..