Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection problem win98-Help!

• Please log in to reply

ubp

ubp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Computer uses windows 1998

All cables lines connected, cable modem has no issues either.

I checked the IP address, and it was no longer there. So I released it and renewed it. An IP address now exists for my SMC ethernet adaptor. Under winiconfg, the same ip address shows up as the ip address under ipconfig.

I went into the network connection, and clicked the obtains IP automatically. I followed some other directions that were given to me.

However, after all of this no conncetion can be made, as it says server unavailable.

Could it be something else? Virus? Registry problem. I am not sure , so help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well you might try uninstalling any internet related software, and you might want to remove your modem from your computer, reboot, and then reinstall your modem. an then reboot, and reinstall your software.