Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device\CdRom0, has a bad block

• Please log in to reply

mkultra

mkultra

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, when I tried to install world of warcraft, I was installing fine until I got to the fourth CD, and at the 4th one the drive doesn't load up the CD. (it kept making the startup noise though)

So I canceled installation, than it gives me the following....

"The installer was unable to read the file "<unknown>". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at --for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The data being read was "Repack-MPQ\Data#dbc.MPQ\DBFilesClient\UISoundLookups.dbc", and the error code was 38.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQFile::Read)"

After going into the "error database" or whatsitsname, I found these two....

An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

It worked fine while I was playing another game, now it won't load that up either. I can watch DVD's with no problem.

Apparently I have been getting this error in the system for 3 weeks, while the drive was working fine to me.

(and i'm a tech newb btw, I know how to use a comp but when it comes to drivers/errors or whatever, I suck...)

:whistling:

Advertisements

mkultra

mkultra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone? Before I get it replaced.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Couple of things I want you to try....

1. Firstly the most obvious - check that the CDs in question are not scratched & give them a clean with a soft lint free cloth.

2. If the problem persists, can you try copying the entire contents of the 4th CD to your hard drive. i.e don't install it, just copy & paste the contents to a temorary folder on your hard disk. You can delete the files afterwards. Let me know if it had a problem copying any part of the CD

3. If possible, can you try installing the game on another computer or repeating step 2 on another computer? This should eliminate the possibilty that the CD itself is damaged

4. Are you experiencing any other errors or problems with your system? In particular, blue screen STOP errors etc

mkultra

mkultra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Cd's are clean, so I know this can't be it.

When I insert any CD rom (audio/game) it won't even show it in "my computer", so I can't copy it's contents unfortunately.

Everything else is running fine, no problems.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you just have the one optical drive (i.e CD/DVD combo) or 2 optical (i.e 1 x CD, 1 x DVD)?

mkultra

mkultra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just one dvd-cd combo. (laptop)

mkultra

mkultra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
And if the drive is "broke", can it be repaired or must it be replaced?