Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS/2 ports stay live when computer off

• Please log in to reply

Revengance

Revengance

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It's a micro atx pc-chips motherboard and when you shut off the computer the lights on the keyboard and mouse stay on and the power boot from keyboard option in the bios is disabled, so it's not that...anyone know what it's caused by or if something is wrong?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Simple solution would be to turn the power supply switch off.

Revengance

Revengance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I understand that...but that doesn't answer the question if some mobos just do that or if there was a known cause...myself as a tech I've never heard of it...

Revengance

Revengance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't have the computer anymore, but yea, also with flippin the switch on the PS, not all have a switch, and in that case you would either have to turn off the surge protector or else unplug it from the wall and for something as small as minor power going through a mouse and keyboard it's pointless.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I was very interested in any answer to this, my MX518 laser stays on no matter what.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Alot of motherboards have the ability to be woken up (aka turned on) by a number of different methods, including LAN, keyboard, mouse, usb device. I would check the BIOS of the computer and look in the power options/power management screen and see if there is an option for wake on mouse/keyboard, because if that is enabled, then the mouse would need to be kept powered in order for this function to work.

Fenor

Revengance

Revengance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had been in BIOS and checked and all wake on ... options were turned off...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just need to say that 2 of my computers have the microsoft wheel optical mouse i use have the lights on all the time. It doesnt matter if the computer is on or off. It doesnt seem to hurt anything and the light goes off when the computer is booting up. I just don't bother with it because everything still works fine. Another computer i have the mouse lights goes off when the puter is shut down. It must be a setting somewhere but i have not been able to find it yet.

SRX660