Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing windows XP - freezes

• Please log in to reply

cliff283

cliff283

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just built a machine so there are a lot of unknowns about what hardware is actually working properly and what isn't.

The computer boots, goes into bios just fine, I have everything basically default there aside from changing it to boot from CD (So I can install windows).

Well, it starts (Unpacking, I guess) files to start the install ... I don't even make it to the screen where you can format a partition.

The last few times it froze it's made it to "Windows is loading mount point services". But it has stopped at other various places too.

I can hear the CD/DVD rom spinning up as it unpacks this stuff, then I hear it spin down and everything is frozen. (I can tell it's frozen because I can no longer switch num lock or caps lock on and off ... I've left it sitting there for about 10-20 mins just to make sure it's not just a long part of the process).

I'm going to try using a different CD rom, and if that doesn't work than a different hard drive ... and if that doesn't work a different CD ... but any other advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
-Cliff

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Is your hard drive already formated.
If yes then can you copy the cd to the hard drive and run the install from there.

cliff283

cliff283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No, it's all new out of the box.

The thought had crossed my mind to put the HD in another machine and format it ... but I'd rather not try playing with that.

cliff283

cliff283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have now tried a different HD and CD-rom and have the same results, I have to be doing something else wrong in the build ... I just wish I knew what it was.

Windows is loading "Random component" ... freeze ... Bah

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you put paste on between your cpu and heatsink when you built this

cliff283

cliff283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes sir.

And as long as I'm not installing windows I can mess around in the bios forever ... I know it's not quite the same ... but the CPU doesn't *appear* to be overheating.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
do you have a floppy drive on both computers
have you more then 1 ram stick. If yes remove 1 then try again if same then replace and remove other if still the same then try different ram slot

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you have compatible hardware and your computer still stops responding, disable any unnecessary hardware. Remove universal serial bus (USB) devices; remove or disable network adapters, sound cards, and serial cards; and then restart the installation.

cliff283

cliff283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't have a floppy drive on either machine (Though I do have one laying around I can put in)

At point I don't have anything connected except the hard drive, CD ROM, and all the other nessesary parts to have it run (Ram, cpu, etc).

The CD is a little scratched up, I'm going to get another copy and see how that does, if not, I'm not sure where else to look.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you try what I said in post 7 about the ram
Sorry for the delay my ISP was down

cliff283

cliff283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for checking back.

No ... it just randomly started working.

I changed the CD and it was much cleaner, it got further, but still stalled. Tried it again just to try it, everything went through.

I then had problems doing windows updates. (It would freeze, etc) So I went to a different site and downloaded SP2 by its self, installed it, no problem.

Now I can do windows updates or whatever I need to.

Thanks for the advice ... I but I'm not really sure what worked lol.