Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding 1 IDE HD to computer running 2 SATA HDs in RAID0

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi fellow geeks,

I am running 2 SATA HDs in a RAID 0 array (called AID by some). I want to add a 250 GB IDE HD to run on this computer. I tried setting setting the jumper as slave and plugged it into the IDE cable midway plug. The IDE cable terminates at the Floppy drive.

This didn't work - BIOS didn't recognise any of the hard disks. So here I am.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Digikiwi

Here is the mobo model: Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Is the master plug open on the cable?

--bmwboy

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Sorry BMWBOY, I'm not sure what you're asking.

The IDE cable has the hard drive at halfway and the floppy drive at the end. Does that answer your Q?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Floppy cables and HDD/Optical drive IDE cables are different. You should have three spots on your motherboard that will take the ribbon cable type connector: floppy, IDE1, and IDE2. You need to get a regular IDE cable, jumper the HDD as master, and connect the cable between the HDD and one of the IDE ports on the mobo.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks - I realised since the last post that the two cables are indeed different. D'oh - oh well , live and learn. I'll try what you suggested once I get the comp running again.

"Experience is the name we give our mistakes...."