Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia GeForce 6600 GT AGP > eVGA nVidia 7800 GS AGP

• Please log in to reply

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Dell 8300 410 watt power supply, Windows XP Pro (OEM), 4GB RAM, etc.

I am replacing my nVidia 6600 GT AGP with an eVGA 7800 GS AGP video card. The instructions that came with the 7800 seem to require I install the Drivers/Software on the CD that came with the video card. I seem to recall when I installed the 6600 I uninstall the old video card (ATI), used Driver Cleaner in safe mode, shut down installed the video card, then rebooted and installed the most recent driver from the nVidia Web Site. Should I use the CD supplied with the 7800 or should I do it like I did with the 6600?

Thank you.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
The best rule of thumb when it comes to upgrading video cards is to uninstall the current drivers being used. To uninstall the drivers:

Start> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs

From that list find your drivers, in your case it should read nVidia Display Drivers or something close to this.(Been a while since I had my last nVidia card)

Also make sure that you get the latest drivers from nVidia's website:

nVidia Driver Download

Select Graphics Drivers > GeForce and TNT2 > and your OS

Install these over the drivers CD that was provided with the video card since the ones on the CD may be old.

I hope that this helps, and if you have any further questions please reply back.

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Did just that and all is working just great. What a difference in video quality and performance.

Thanks again.