Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP SP2 Freezes


  • Please log in to reply

#1
jaxisland

jaxisland

    Member 1K

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a domain workstation that runs XP SP2 fully updated that is locking up. It is currently having two symptoms.

One: When you use our database which pulls info across the network it hangs every couple minutes and then will catch back up, sometimes even saying Not Responding in the title bar.

Two: When open FireFox or IE v6 to the home page it will not connect and just time out. But if you keep hitting refresh it will eventually come up.

I am kinda stumped, it is the only machine on the domain having this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
piper

piper

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
My first thought is a network connectivity issue, since it happens accessing the internet and a network database. Try swapping cables and/or installing a different NIC. If this computer is attached to a switch, try a different port.

Can this computer access other network resources without locking up?
  • 0

#3
jaxisland

jaxisland

    Member 1K

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I thought about going through that but these are less than 5% of his network useage. The other 95% is email, file shares, ftp, etc. It seems to only happen on these two programs.

I re-qualified his network tap and it is also run through a VoIP phone which functions fine. Hard for me to believe it is a network issue.
  • 0

#4
piper

piper

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What about logging in to Windows with a different user? Maybe there's a problem with his profile. Or safe mode with networking or diagnostic startup? Maybe a conflict of some kind.

Still, it might be worth it to do the cable/switch/NIC swap, just to rule it out.
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP