Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot right click in IE

• Please log in to reply

thebroken

thebroken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
problem: when i right click in IE nothing happens at all.

had a problem with spyware/virus that caused the system restore function to stop working and the ability to right click anywhere to dissapear.

i used the winxp cd to do a repair, that fixed the system restore problem, and i inserted the following registry keys, which fixed the ability to right click on the desktop and explorer, but it still wont work in internet explorer.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoViewContextMenu"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoViewContextMenu"=dword:00000000

"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000

"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Tried to install internet explorer 7 (instead of IE 6) and that didn't help at all.
(got some errors while trying to install IE 7, missing access for administrator on some of the registry keys that the installer needed to update, but i fixed the acc. problem and then it worked.)

Done a full scan with Norman antivirus, Spybot search and destroy and AdAware.
they didn't find anything of interest.

and i have done a scan with Norton Systemworks, which found and repaired some errors, but none that made a difference to this problem.

and finally i have run the "sfc /scannow" command, which seemed to just work a while without fixing anything.

i can post the hijack this log if that is of any interest.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Take a look and see if you have the NoBrowserContextMenu item in other of the following two places in the registry. (START-->RUN and type regedit to enter registery editor)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
If you have NoBrowserContextMenu in either of these keys, then delete it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 November 2006 - 07:05 PM.

thebroken

thebroken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nope, theres no restrictions, i already checked that one.

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
what I would do is run HJT and the fix all errors that appear. legitimate programs will fix themselves.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

what I would do is run HJT and the fix all errors that appear. legitimate programs will fix themselves.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! CHECKING ALL THE ITEMS IN A HIJACKTHIS LOG AND THEN CLICKING FIX CHECKED WILL RENDER YOUR MACHINE PRETTY MUCH USELESS! ALL THE ITEMS LISTED IN A HIJACKTHISLOG ARE NOT BAD, AND ONLY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL LIKE A TRUSTED HELPER FROM THE MALWARE FORUM CAN DECIDE WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD.

Fenor

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

DO NOT DO THIS!!! CHECKING ALL THE ITEMS IN A HIJACKTHIS LOG AND THEN CLICKING FIX CHECKED WILL RENDER YOUR MACHINE PRETTY MUCH USELESS! ALL THE ITEMS LISTED IN A HIJACKTHISLOG ARE NOT BAD, AND ONLY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL LIKE A TRUSTED HELPER FROM THE MALWARE FORUM CAN DECIDE WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD.

Fenor

Thats not a true statement, because anything that windows uses to run will automatically readd itself, allong with other important programs.

Edited by Kat, 15 November 2006 - 03:56 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Fenor's statement is right on the money. HijackThis CAN be used to fix legit items, yes. But it is NOT recommended. :whistling: HJT is a powerful tool, and bad things can happen to good computers if it is not used properly.

There are certain files on a pc, that may show up in HJT...that if they were removed with HJT, the pc would then not be able to start up in some cases.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
" HJT doesn't differentiate between 'good' items and 'bad' items, so "fixing" it all would disable numerous system components and probably cripple your system by disabling printer drivers, custom graphics card utilities, antivirus programs, firewalls etc. Do NOT fix everything HijackThis finds after a scan. After running HiJackThis If you have questions about what can or cannot be removed safely, you can check out Merijn's log tutorial or post your log file to one of the forums listed in his Help Forums. "

Merijn Bellekom

Creator of HiJackThis