Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperately Need the Help!

• Please log in to reply

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Okay so my computer suddenly shuts down a few times, showing a blue screen with some text on it, telling me if this is the first time that I see the message to reboot, and to check that all hardware and software is properly installed.

So it happened more than once and then my computer failed to startup at all. I could see the PC on but nothing was showing up on the monitor. So I changed my video and audio cables back to the onboard defaults instead of my GeForce FX 5500 and new sound card I was using, thinking the drivers were screwed up since I had problems with the GeForce FX 5500 before and was running it on outdated drivers anyway.

The computer shut down again with blue screen, and here I sit in Safe Mode wondering what to do. I'll do the tasks you guys ask, just a little help would be very very very appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
what OS are you running? What machine model is it? Can you boot?

answer1=unknown
answer2=unknown
answer3=yes, in safe mode.

Please post the exact error code you get on the BSOD, should be 0xsomething, i don't think we can do anything else until yoou post the info i asked for. If you want to you can try pressing f8 at boot and select "last known good configuration" and then try booting.

-OCM770-

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
answer1=Windows XP Pro SP2
answer2=Compaq Presario SR1311NX
answer3=yes, in safe mode.

I guess I'll boot to regular Windows and wait for the BSOD to come back to finish me off...Stay posted :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
thank you, i'll look into it and i'll be here for maybe another half hour so if you want to, post quickly, and try booting with "last known good configuration"

-OCM770-

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to this site
this might help here

an error message(bsod) tells one what the error is, whereas auto reboot doesn't, therefore it's best to turn off auto reboot

turn off auto reboot:

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r button
- paste this in slot: sysdm.cpl @0,3
- press: enter
- find in blue: startup and recovery
( just above the line: system startup, system failure, and debugging infomation)
- click button: settings
- unclick box: automatically restart

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Yes, fleamailman is right although that option is although available by tapping f8 at boot, there is an option that says do not reboot if problem occurs or something like that (my XP is in Spanish so I'm translating)

-OCM770-