Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound no longer works

• Please log in to reply

Finalmike

Finalmike

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Due to my registry problem, I got my hand on a copy of winxp, installed in, activated it, etc.

My sound does not work, however.

I have two HDDs that came with my compie. One is my "C" drive, the other is my "D" drive. "C" is the drive that originally had windows on it, and "D" was just an extra HDD.

Well, instead of wiping my C drive and all, I decided to install windows on my D drive. So now I have a corrupted windows on my C and a working windows on my D.

Well, the device manager is finding my audio devices, but won't allow me to use them.

I've got audio codecs, Legacy audio drivers, Legacy video capture devices, media control devices, and video codecs, all under my "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.

Any idea how to get my sound to work?!

Thanks muchly in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey, welcome to Geeks to go!

Ok, you have all those codecs but you're missing a driver, if you have integrated audio like Realtek AC'97 audio then you need that driver.

Please psot your computer model and make and your sound card (if you have one, if not try to tell us what kind of audio you use)

-OCM770-

Finalmike

Finalmike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've got a Sony Viao, using the sound card that came with the computer.

The model number is PCV-RX752 but it won't come up on sony.com.

Would the drivers be on the C drive and not registering on my D drive?

Finalmike

Finalmike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
In case this helps, I found the real model number.

Sony Vaio PCV-7752.

Finalmike

Finalmike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I did a search on sony.com for drivers for model pcv-7752 and model pcv-rx752 (7752 is on the back on my compie and rx752 is on the front... weird). Anyways, I found the default sound driver for this compie, but when I go to install it, it says it's not designed for my machine.

What the heck? I'm too confused!

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, it's a desktop, i thought it was a notebook and you tried this link right: http://esupport.sony...teType=Original on the audio section?

-OCM770-

Finalmike

Finalmike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yessir, that would be it.

Any idea what might work?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
gees, this is a confusing one... it could be that the driver checks that the computer has a VAIO XP on it, although i doubt this, maybe a tech could help you out better than i could, I'll try getting a tech to look at this.

-OCM770-

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Due to my registry problem, I got my hand on a copy of winxp, installed in, activated it, etc.

what do you mean by this?
did you use the serial key from the sticker on your computer or the one that came with the cd? did you buy it or borrow it?

eedeadly

eedeadly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all let me say... I am so happy to have read this post. I am having the EXACT same problem as none of my sound/audio works due to my newly installed version of windows xp pro on my D:/ from a BORROWED,Window XP Pro Install disk (not the one that came with the computer), and now cannot play any audio.

The problem is clearly with the drivers, but i also suspect that the model of my computer (aka vaio number PVC 7752) has drivers for a win32 application, but not for a win64. What do I do??? I really need to have sound on my D:/ and have tried reading and downloading EVERYTHING to no avail. Can someone please please guide me on how to get audio back on my desktop???