Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Identifying programs on a PC

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am told I have a critical MS06-061 vulnerability and when I look at updates for Win XP I find this version needs patching:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 running Microsoft XML Core Services 2.5

However I cannot find anywhere that tells me I have XML Core Services 2.5 and do not even know what they are. Can advise?

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
This may explain a little:

http://www.perfectxml.com/MSXML.asp

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks so much - not too tech oriented but will try to understand what this site is saying:)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Microsoft Office 2003 has/uses XML. So if you have Office 2003 installed, you'll be notified of MSXML updates. There may be other applications that use/have XML, but I only know about this one.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
My version of XP is 2002 SP2 - seems to me I have seen that this version is vulnerable to many things. Have to study the site just sent me to see if I can fully understand it.