Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE DVD DRIVE Displaying as SCSI

• Please log in to reply

Ardrigh

Ardrigh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My motherboard blew up and needed to be replaced. I replaced it and everything is working except the dvd drives and I have a good idea of why but I have no idea how to fix it.

In device manager one drive will show up as GN1895T IRQ235U SCSI CdRom Device. Both drives are plugged into the same IDE cable, they are certainly not SCSI.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling through device man, changing jumpers between cable select and to whatever part of the cable they are on (not that I really believed that would help), unplugging each in turn and still getting the same result.

When both are plugged in it will show up with one instance of what I wrote above, if I unplug either the same thing is displayed.

One of the DVD drives is an old liteon something or other and the other one is a newish Pioneer 111D.

The bios recognises both drives as being on the IDE cable no worries at all.

I am running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, up to date with all the latest patches.

A drive will be assigned just as DVD Drive, yet dvds are unable to be read and one is unable to eject by right clicking and selecting eject through windows explorer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I checked the computers near me and the dvds are all not scsi in the devicemaneger but my virtual dvd is marked scsi.
check if u have a virtual dvd because they r the ones defined as cdrom device.
This could mean that they r "dead"
try and c if u can get them 2 work on a different computer.
Were they with the motherboard that blew?

Ardrigh

Ardrigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This would very much end up in the realms of improbable. One of the dvd drives is brand new and has just been freshly installed in the machine, I bought it at the same time as the new motherboard. The other dvd drive although it was working just before the old motherboard died, it would be insanely coincidental to have one dvd drive blow up with the motherboard and to buy a new one that is DoA.

It is not a virtual dvd like Daemon Tools. I am certain that the entry in device manager is coming up in relation to the dvd drives that I have installed. If I uninstall the entry, then unplug both drives, then boot the computer the entry isn't readded.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
[quote]When both are plugged in it will show up with one instance of what I wrote above, if I unplug either the same thing is displayed.

Do u mean that they r both under the same catagory?
I under stand from what u wrote that they r listed as scsi but how do they perform?
If it works what gives?

Ardrigh

Ardrigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It means only one will be recognised and installed. They don't work as they will not read cds or dvds. Nor can other windows controlled functions work such as getting the drive to eject through explorer.