Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

300GB Parallel ATA Hard drive installation

• Please log in to reply

neora

neora

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi,

Is there any reason why win2kpro is detecting a 300GB PATA HD as only 128BG?? I read that it could be because of problem with win2k to read large disks..said some service packs missing and installed the recommended SP4... But it is still showing as 128GB in Disk Management. Tried formatting it to NTFS just to see if it will solve the problem. But still the same.

Does anybody have an idea why this is and how it could be fixed.??

Thank you.

Cheers,
neora

Edited by neora, 15 November 2006 - 09:01 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Either the BIOS needs upadating or the IDE Bus Master Driver for yor motherboard. Or Both.

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
thanks.. i'll check that and get back to you :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also check the jumpers make sure you havent got the drive size clipped.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I had the same problem with a 300 gig drive. I didnt have sp2 for windows xp installed yet. As far as I know previous versions of windows only allow 132 gig max per drive. ( im speaking from a windows xp standpoint, Im not sure about your OS). I had to use a smaller drive to install xp and the service pack, then add the 300 gig as a secondary drive.

If you installed all of the latest service packs and updates, try completely diconnecting power from the drive, reconnect, then go through the formatting process again.

btw, what brand is the hdd?

edited,

Along with what warriorscott said, I think the jumpers have to be removed if the drive is to function as a slave. ( i may be wrong)

However, I did some research for you. I assumed it was a seagate drive, although i dont think it really matters. check out this site and follow the steps.

http://www.seagate.c...os/win2000.html

I believe discwizard will help you solve your problems. Good luck :whistling: and post back so we can see if you solved it

Edited by dospoy, 15 November 2006 - 12:57 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I had the same problem with a 300 gig drive. I didnt have sp2 for windows xp installed yet. As far as I know previous versions of windows only allow 132 gig max per drive. ( im speaking from a windows xp standpoint, Im not sure about your OS). I had to use a smaller drive to install xp and the service pack, then add the 300 gig as a secondary drive.

If you installed all of the latest service packs and updates, try completely diconnecting power from the drive, reconnect, then go through the formatting process again.

btw, what brand is the hdd?

edited,

Along with what warriorscott said, I think the jumpers have to be removed if the drive is to function as a slave. ( i may be wrong)

However, I did some research for you. I assumed it was a seagate drive, although i dont think it really matters. check out this site and follow the steps.

http://www.seagate.c...os/win2000.html

I believe discwizard will help you solve your problems. Good luck :whistling: and post back so we can see if you solved it

Um actually you should use the software provided by the manufacturerer of your drive... if you didn't get any software with it go to the website for your brand of disk...

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
That's the HD
Samsung SpinPoint HD300LD

http://www.samsung.c...ies_HD300LD.asp

warriorscot: the drive size jumpers are not clipped.

shard92: no software came with the HD :whistling:

dospoy: I'm checking out ur link and i will definitely get back.

Thanks people.. Please keeps ur ideas flowing... in the meanwhile i will also do some more research and i'll post back...

edit: btw, it is not a primary drive.

Edited by neora, 16 November 2006 - 04:35 AM.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
On the link you provided for your hard drive, there is a utility to download, this is a better option than the link I gave you. Also under the Feeatures list of the Hard Drive on your link it says:

Maxium 133GB fomatted capacity per disk..

I'm not sure how this affects the total capacity of the drive...jsut seems like something worth looking at.

any ideas warriorscott or shard92? (you guys seem to be the experts, lol)

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ya.. i noticed that part dospoy.... it says 'per disk'.. i thot it would make sense if it had 2 disk... so totally there would be 266GB formated space... that's quite natural.. cus they claim 'decimal 300GB'...which is equal to around 'binary 267GB'... dunno if it has anything to do with our problem though... these are just my assumptions :whistling:..is it totally stupid?? :blink: experts are always free to correct...

sorry ppl.. i havent been able to look into that HD problem since one of RAID disks in one of the servers failed... i am new to this field and it's all so overwhelming... mebbe i'll get used to it...

thanks again :help:

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
first off i wouldnt say thats totally stupid...(but i am very far from an expert, lol)

I found this on the link you provided..

http://www.samsung.c..._0000115203.htm

Which motherboard do you have? (manufacture, model number etc..)

Have you tried the disk manager?

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Try using third party partitioning software, most will partition & format for you & Win2k will then recognise the whole space. One that I know works with 2K with no errors is Super Fdisk. A bootable floppy or cd iso can be downloaded from here: http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm the links are just below the red 'warning'

Hope this helps.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you actually checked in the bios see whether the bios detects the drive as 300GB or 128GB?

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi ppl... was caught up with other urgent work....
Samm... yes... the bios detects the drive to be 300GB...

Edited by neora, 24 November 2006 - 07:48 AM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
from microsoft site

The ATA Interface Limit (128 GiB / 137 GB) Barrier
48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000

Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and earlier versions of Windows 2000 do not support 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) as defined in the ATA/ATAPI 6.0 specification.

The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:

A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed.
A computer with a hard disk that has a capacity of greater than 137 gigabytes (GB).
You must enable the support in the Windows registry by adding or changing the EnableBigLba registry value to 1 in the following registry subkey

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1

4. Quit Registry Editor.

Seven Major BIOS Limitations:
1. Systems with BIOS dated prior to July 1994(504 MB Limitation).
2. Systems with BIOS dated after July of 1994 (2.048 GB Limitation)..
3. 4.2 GB Limitation..
4. 8.4 GB limitation..
5. 32 GB limitation.
6. 64 GB Limitation
7. 137 GB Limitation

Edited by peter99, 25 November 2006 - 06:36 AM.