Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continual Program Crashes

• Please log in to reply

devoid

devoid

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
At least 8-10 times a day I get the message: " Program Blahblah has encountered a problem and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience . You may lose any data you were working on. Please tell Microsoft. Send/Don't send" It seems to occur mainly to programs running in the background (like Peer Guardian) though just now Windows Explorer fell over. I am running firewall, anti-virus, spyblockers etc. My system is: E6700 C2D, Gigabyte P965 DQ6 mobo, 2G Corsair DDR2 800, 7950GX2 1G, WD320 HDD XP Pro and its less than 6 weeks old. Any ideas as to what area I should be investigating would be much appreciated

Advertisements

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
was this an OEM or self-built PC?

right-click "My computer" and go to properites. if the letters OEM appear it's an oem system, please reply

Edited by DSMaster, 15 November 2006 - 02:02 PM.

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
IT's an OEM

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That's what I thought..

Run a defrag, that should solve your issue. (Right-click C> Tools> defrag now> defragment) then just let it go, restart and you should be fine

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reply. I defragged about a week ago but I'll give it another go. Let you know.

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
did you also do a disc check? you should run that as well

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Am in the middle of one

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
dics check reboots your pc. so I guess I'll assume you're using 2 lol

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Good guess.Your psychic, mate

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
lmao. well, i only have 1 pc, so I would have been out for 40 mins if it was me lol

Advertisements

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok. So I've disk cleaned, disk defragged, rebooted and checked for disk errors, ran a memeory test,walked the dog, dug the goannas out from under some hail come home and guess what? Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Within the first hour 2 different programs fell over. D'oh! And as I type, another one bites the dust.

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok then it probably an incorrect file. "Start > run > SFC /scannow" should do something worthwhile

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks again for the response. I ran what you suggested and Windows asked me to insert the Xp disc. Currently I am waiting while Windows verifies that all protected files are intact and in their original versions (at what ,I might say, is a somewhat majestic but glacial pace).

devoid

devoid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok. That finished with no further response or action required so am I to take it that everything is ridgy didge?

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Everything should be fine now. if there are any other problems about the same issue, or any other issue, do post and all of us here will see what we can tell you