Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: Windows 2000 won't start-Registry cannot load the hive (fil

• Please log in to reply

klw123w

klw123w

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Stop: {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Corrupt Hive or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Got this message (approx) on my VAIO laptop after a power failure. From what I've read, I need to use the Recovery Console off the Windows 2000 Professional CD. Problem - the laptop (purchased new) came with Win 2000 Pro installed, but I did not receive a CD. What do I do now? I have the product key and certificate of authenticity on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Is there a way to get a CD? If I have to buy a new CD, will it have a compatible copy of the hive file? If I get the CD will it be possible to fix this problem? I really don't know what I am talking about here and could REALLY use some help. I am reluctant to purchase ANYTHING because we are currently unemployed.... HELP, Please??

Thanks
Karen

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
First off Windows 2000 Pro is still supported by Microsoft so you can still order OEM disk from the company who built your notebook. If it is Toshiba, HP, Compaq, or Gateway it should only cost you the shipping to receive Recovery or OEM installation disks. If you post your make, and model for your notebook I will attempt to run the link down for you.

Try the following command. Click Start, then open the Run dialog box. Type in scanreg /fix and click OK
When it has finished restart your computer.

Edited by acklan, 15 November 2006 - 10:35 PM.

klw123w

klw123w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi- And thanks

My laptop is a Sony VAIO PCG-FX220K. I can't try the scanreg /fix suggestion because Windows won't load, not even in safe mode. :whistling:

From what I understand the Recovery Console is on the Installation disk, not the recovery disk. Is that correct?

Karen

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Download and burn BartPE to a CD. When you boot with BartPE run the scanreg /fix and chkdsk.

BartPE download
BartPE Into.

klw123w

klw123w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi-

When I tried, I got a report saying "scanreg /fix is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". ( I first switched to C:)

chkdsk found no problems.

K

klw123w

klw123w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Found this info on another site:

Scanreg does not come with windows 2000 but free Windows 2000 Resource Kit Tools has several useful registry related utilities including two specifically designed for backup and restore
k

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Sorry about that.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you dou a system restore

34. Freeware Command Line / Batch Registry & Environment editor.

REG is a handy Registry and Environment Variable batch and command line tool
that supports operations on the following Registry Hives:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_USER

REG will:

. Add and Delete a Registry Key.
. Add, Delete and Change a Registry Value. It supports Value Types of:

REG_SZ
REG_DWORD
REG_MULTI_SZ
REG_EXPAND_SZ

. Add and Delete a directory in either the SYSTEM or USER PATH.
. Setting an Environment Variable in either the SYSTEM or USER environment.
. Setting Environment and PATH variables from a file.
. Setting multiple options from a file.
. Setting a Registry Value from the keyboard.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.thinclien...aframe_tips.htm

take a look there

klw123w

klw123w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Still needing help here. Thanks Acklan for the Bart PE. At least when I look at the laptop with dir and chkdsk, nothing ELSE appears to be wrong :help: The power went off and on and off and on during shutdown so I think that is where I got the error in the first place.

I had read on another site that I need the recovery console to fix these kinds of problems, but it looks like all it is used for is DOS type commands, which I can do from BartPE... Using DIR command I navigated to the appropriate directory and see that I have both the current hive files (SECURITY, SAM, SOFTWARE, DEFAULT and SYSTEM) as well as .sav files of all of them. I also have a SYSTEM.ALT. The .sav files are several years old :blink: . In the repair directory I also have these files (also several years old). :whistling: I promise to backup more often in the future.

DO I need the recovery console, or should I just try to substitute the software.sav file for the corrupt SOFTWARE file???? Is there another location on the computer that might have a more current version of the files?

Scary stuff for a novice

Thanks
Karen

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Microsoft does have a "Registry Rovery Utility" for download. This may or may not solve your problem. without a current Registry Backup your option are very limited. This is where the gurus (Which I am far from :whistling: ) preach to backup your registry. I backup mine weekly and save it to CD. When we are passed this you may want to consider a manual back up of your registry or use a program like ERUNT Registry Backup Utility to automate the process.

klw123w

klw123w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Progress?? This morning, using BartPe, I renamed SOFTWARE to software.bak and renamed software.sav to SOFTWARE. Then I was able to boot to Windows. Many things work, though many do not. I seem to have one-way network connectivity. (the laptop can see the other machines, but they can't see it), so now I will try to send all my pix and docs. etc to one of the other machines....

Tried to view the corrupt file, but no luck. I'll try the Registry Recovery program you mentioned, but first will have to buy floppies. ( I threw all mine out - considered them outdated). If I can't make things work, then I guess I'll have to reinstall Windows ... Hopefully (unlikely) I'll have install disks for all my programs.

k