Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

$NTUninstall Folders

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Guys,

I'm doing a little tidy-up of my systems and was wondering if the folders marked '$NTUninstallKB' are ok to delete ? Are these just where the windows updates are stored ?

These folders are located in 'C:\Windows'

Cheers guys

H_M

Edited by Hello_Moto, 16 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The best way to clean up without damaging your file system is use CCleaner. It is a free download at www.ccleaner.com

Under the cleanup section select the options at the bottom that are grayed out by default.

Fix the registry and your system will be smooth but safe.

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I haven't heard of that utility before. Is all I need to do is run that ?

Do you have any other freeware recommendations to keep my system in good shape ? I already have Ewido, Spybot, Ad-Aware and Norton AV.

Thanks

H_M

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

was wondering if the folders marked '$NTUninstallKB' are ok to delete

If you do Windows Updates and everything is fine after a few days, then, yes, those files (mine always seem to be compressed -in blue- by default) are safe to delete.

Johanna

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No, looks like you have the rest covered. I run ccleaner every friday at work just to keep things smooth, I think it helps.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I never run ccleaner, ever. XP is good about ignoring obsolete reg entries. I'm not saying not to run it if you like it, but I have seen less experienced users develop problems using it. Echoing jaxisland- you have a good selection of security programs, nothing else is necessary.
Johanna

memoryStick

memoryStick

• Pip
  • 1 posts

wondering if the folders marked '$NTUninstallKB' are ok to delete

Yes, assuming your PC is stable after the hotfix patch was applied. I've found the following software program works great in removing those folders, PLUS it takes care of the entries in your Add/Remove program group which are associated with these hotfixes:

http://www.pcshareware.com/update.htm

It's a little program called Update Cleanup and works fine on Windows 2000 and XP machines.

Happy computing! :whistling:

MS